Day 19: In The Great Basin - Great Divide, Great Challenge - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2024

Day 19: In The Great Basin

Distance: 128km

Climbing: 1043m

The Great Basin is one of the areas of the GDMBR that requires more careful preparation. It’s 220km between Atlantic City and Rawlins with no resupply between them. There’s also a lot less water. There’s a very reliable well at 35km, some unreliable sources (dry for us) and then, surprisingly, a small lake where we camped at 128km from Atlantic City, so really not too bad, but you sure don’t want to run out and be far from a source. It’s also famously difficult if you have e a headwind or if rain turns the road to mud. We had plenty of water, not headwind, and no mud, so for us felt easy and we flew through it so smoothly it felt like a light day.

Todd joined us for the Great Basin.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The well at 35km. Even though it was early in the day we cooked lunch there so we could refill with water afterwards.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had met another rider in Atlantic City who rode with us today. He’s been riding solo as his partner had to back out at the last minute, but heading into the Great Basin alone would be pretty daunting.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Much nicer camp than we expected in the basin.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We have a shorter day tomorrow to finish the Great Basin in the town or Rawlins, which is also considered the halfway point of the route.

So far the basin has been very desolate without even cows after a while. We have seen pronghorns regularly though. Without ranching, the only sign of industry was a few oil pump jacks.

Today's ride: 128 km (79 miles)
Total: 2,204 km (1,369 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0