Day 14: Hello Idaho - Great Divide, Great Challenge - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2024

Day 14: Hello Idaho

Distance: 146km

Climbing: 762m up (and 1169 down)

Heart 1 Comment 0

At the end of the day yesterday the map showed that we had 246km to go to Colter Bay Village. After two hard days it was a bit daunting but we decided to make that our goal for the next two days as there are cabins there - although we don’t know if any will be available when we arrive.

Dividing the 246km into two days of 123km seemed reasonable, especially since the elevation profile was nicer than many of our harder days. However, there was no good camping option shown at the halfway mark, so we targeted one farther along that would mean our longest day of riding yet.

Amazingly, it worked out well: we cranked out 146km to a nice, if busy, Warm River campground near Yellowstone Park. Even though it took 12 hours (including breaks, lunch, and grocery shopping) we felt so much less tired than almost any other day since we began. It’s definitely grinding out big climbs that works us more than the distance, although bumpy surfaces can make even level riding very tiring.

While it wasn’t especially smooth, with lots of washboard and very little paved surface, the small amount of climbing and the large net elevation loss played a big role in today’s distance.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had crossed into Idaho without even realizing it. We stopped in at a private campground and they let us know, and they were very accommodating letting us use a beautiful shaded patio for our lunch. We have great memories from Montana: amazing scenery and many friendly and generous people.

The scenery today was spectacular - a welcome relief from the desolation of the last few days. Less smoke helped too.

This old railway line in Idaho used to take tourists to Yellowstone National Park.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views of the Warm River in the final km to the campground were spectacular.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we did finally get to camp it was the latest we had gotten into a campsite, and we lucked out getting the last site. We were able to eat and wash up in the river in the last of the daylight. It was the first time we had had to set up our tents in the dark. After seeing only one or two other groups at almost every rustic site we stayed in Montana it was odd being in a full, normal campground with lots of people and kids and noise. Nevertheless, we slept very well and were ready for the push into Colter Village which promised a shorter distance but more climbing.

Once in Colter Bay we’ll have to figure out an alternate route as there’s a forest fire that has blocked a significant portion of the GDMBR. 

Today's ride: 146 km (91 miles)
Total: 1,633 km (1,014 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Karen PoretBummer on the smoke category. Being on a bike in the “fresh air” isn’t always true, unfortunately. At least you are NOT in Asia ..
Reply to this comment
1 month ago