Day 10 - Great Divide, Great Challenge - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2024

Day 10

Stats: 105km

Climbing: 1550km

Animals: 2 Elk, 1 little snake

I awoke in my luxurious accommodation at our usual 6am and was torn between wanting more sleep and not wanting to be there if someone wanted to use the facilities (there were two other groups at the campground, but they had retreated to their cars). I also wanted to check on Andrew.

I headed over to Andrew’s cabin and although I woke him up, he was packed in no time and we headed back to mine to make breakfast. A very nice person stopped by to offer us firewood to warm up, but we declined as we weren’t going to be around long. The ranger also came up to restock the toilet paper and we had a nice chat with him. Despite the poor night of sleep we decided to simply press on with the ride to Butte, a bit over 100km away.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking down at the lake beside the campground.
Heart 4 Comment 0

It was a beautiful morning with some snow on the trees, but none on the roads themselves.

A bit of climbing to warm us up and then we dropped down to the town of Basin through amazing canyon roads. We saw two bull elk along the way which was magic. We had a taste of the afternoon’s headwinds on the last stretch into Basin. We had a great restaurant lunch. It felt like stepping back in time a few years, prices included.

Big lunch in Basin. Our pancakes hadn’t arrived yet.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Joanne RobertsonLooks like your camouflage plaid is working. You look like a local.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

After lunch we traded hills for headwinds and fought them into Butte where we had booked a hotel. It was interesting seeing Butte again from a different perspective - I had passed through driving across the country a few years ago and had stayed at a KOA campground.

The hotel was a good plan: it had a coin laundry and we were able to clean up and get a much needed good night of sleep.

Today's ride: 101 km (63 miles)
Total: 1,121 km (696 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0