Rochester to Lanesboro - Senior Citizens Cycling East - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2024

Rochester to Lanesboro

Just nice riding

Today’s ride had lots of variety.  We managed to be slightly confused but not lost as we navigated trails through Rochester’s extensive park system, rode a four mile stretch of gravel road, meandered a few country roads, survived a stretch of noisy highway safely tucked behind a rumble strip on a good shoulder, and ended with about 11 miles on the Root River Valley trail, another lovely and well-maintained rail trail.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Nancy’s blog always features great photos of wildlife.  We like to take pictures of Nancy taking pictures.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Our lunch spot was a wayside park and canoe launch along the Root River.  In addition to enjoying the river, I turned on my Merlin app and recorded a virtual symphony of bird song, including song sparrow, cedar waxwing, eastern pewee, yellow warbler, American redstart, goldfinch, brown-headed cowbird, Baltimore oriole, gray catbird, and yellow-bellied flycatcher.  Of course I didn’t manage to see any of them.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This was our view across the countryside as we started down the rail trail.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The tree is sinking in a karst hole in the porous limestone bedrock.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Limestone outcropping along the trail.

Heart 1 Comment 0

And finally, real ice cream.  We came off the trail knowing our inn was only a block away and were greeted with an ice cream stand— a perfect ending to a fine ride. 

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 161 miles (259 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0