Northfield to Rochester - Senior Citizens Cycling East - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2024

Northfield to Rochester

Pedaling to Red Wing, then driving to Rochester

After spending an extra day in Northfield because of the weather, we had to make up a day to stay in sync with our itinerary.  We rode lovely country roads and trails to Red Wing which we were supposed to do yesterday, then loaded ourselves and bikes in the van and shuttled down to Rochester, thus skipping a less interesting ride.  We had a great tailwind most of the way today.  If we had ridden to Rochester, we would have been battling nasty crosswinds.

Heart 1 Comment 0

About 15 miles in to the ride, we encountered the dread detour sign.  We decided we were local traffic and opted to take a chance that we could get through.

Heart 0 Comment 0

No, we definitely can’t ride through here.  A friendly motorist told us a quick way to go at least part way around.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Ah, Hope found a way around the last bit of construction.  There’s a certain feeling of triumph when you make it through a detour.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Fields are just turning green.  In two months time, this scene will be completely different.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The final 20 miles today were on a rail trail along the Cannon River which we rode in 2013, my first trip with Nancy and Ken.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

I’m surprised how much I remember of that trip.  We had lunch 11 years ago in this park.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Hope riding down the trail.  My pictures over the years of people heading down the trail are harder to differentiate, just always lovely.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltDames rocket. Edible and palatable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperis_matronalis
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Spring wild flowers abound.  The delicate red columbine are among my favorites.

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 117 miles (188 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0