Johnson Creek to Milwaukee - Senior Citizens Cycling East - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2024

Johnson Creek to Milwaukee

Great trail network

We rode almost completely on trails from very rural Johnson Creek into downtown Milwaukee.  A few streets we crossed on the trails were busy enough that we had to dismount and proceed cautiously, but in many cases, polite drivers slowed down and waved us through.  DC has a lot to learn about creating a bike-friendly environment.  We had another day of sunshine, and lots of bikers were enjoying the weather.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Still in the countryside, I was delighted to see lots of daisies, marguerites in French, one of my favorite flowers.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

This bike shop was right on the trail.  It was staffed with very friendly people, which is almost always the case in bike shops, at least when you come in in bike clothes.

Heart 1 Comment 0

This bike trail, a commuter trail into Milwaukee, may not be the most scenic, but it utilizes the power line right-of-way  for about ten miles into the city.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Right after I took the previous photo, I saw this blue heron land in a nearby wetland.  Pretty scenic after all.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Coming in to the city, we caught a glimpse of the Milwaukee Brewers stadium and rode past the VA Medical Center, named for my first Congressional boss, Clem Zablocki.

Heart 0 Comment 0

In the city, we rode on the Hank Aaron Bike Trail.  I was only an enthusiastic baseball fan when the Braves were the Milwaukee Braves and Hank Aaron was one of their stars. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Very close to our destination, we found a series of statues honoring Milwaukee Road workers in a park that had been a major work barn for the railroad.  
We have a day off tomorrow to explore some more of the city. 

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 367 miles (591 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0