Farmington to Auburn - Senior Citizens Cycling East - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2024

Farmington to Auburn

I found Sal!

Once again we rode north to the Erie Canal trail, which we rode for about 28 miles, then stayed on roads, again dropping south to Auburn to stay in a very nice motel where we stayed on a previous trip.  I had hoped to see the Harriet Tubman home in Auburn, but when we arrived it was too hot to consider going back out.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

More of my favorite morning reflections on the Erie Canal.

Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s a little hard to see the bridge in this photo, but it is there, spanning a nice expanse of grass.  The bridge was originally built in 1858 and spanned the Erie Canal in Rochester.  It was moved twice, and when it was nearly destroyed in an ice storm in 1996, it was rescued, moved to this park and rebuilt to preserve its history. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here’s Sal, in a delightful mural near a lock on the Canal. It is a mosaic, made up of 728 six inch square tiles painted by elementary through college students from across New York State.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode along a stretch of the 1825 canal which has not been in use since parts of the canal were relocated in the early 1900’s.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Lunch was at an Audubon center with this fellow looking over our shoulders.  We had planned to be outside, but the very accommodating staff let us move inside and escape the heat for a bit.  It wasn’t as hot here as in many places across the country, but 85 degrees and high humidity is pretty hot when you are biking.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Ice cream tasted great at the end of a 60 mile ride. 

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 1,172 miles (1,886 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0