Cayuga to Welland, Ontario - Senior Citizens Cycling East - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2024

Cayuga to Welland, Ontario

Good bye to Lake Erie

We dropped back down to Lake Erie, mostly on quiet country roads, then had another beautiful ride right along the lakeshore to the Welland Canal, which we rode along for several miles.  The Welland connects Lake Erie to Lake Ontario with a series of eight locks to accommodate the 300 foot difference between the two lakes.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We began the ride in a rural area.  The wheat fields are beautifully golden right now and are especially lovely in the wind, when it almost looks there are waves of gold.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

These were some of our last views of the lake, with another fine lunch spot today.  The hazy line on the horizon in the top photo is New York State.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We watched a lift bridge go up in the town of Port Colborne, and for a bit we wondered why, as the freighter didn’t appear to be moving.  It was going very slowly, and the back of the ship barely fit under the bridge.  We calculated that the bridge was up for at least 20 minutes.  It must be tricky for the people in town to plan on getting from one side of the canal to the other. 

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 895 miles (1,440 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Ruth Ann BerkholtzAll your entries were fascinating! Thanks for sharing your journey!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago