Brockport to Farmington - Senior Citizens Cycling East - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2024

Brockport to Farmington

Rolling through Rochester

There’s just one more week of riding. At this point in a trip, I’m in a groove, eager to get out and ride every day.  All the rain in Minnesota seems a long time ago, but Albany is way too close now.

We are aiming to ride as much of the Erie Canal as we can, but today we had to drop south after about 30 miles on the canal, as Farmington was where Nancy could find decent and affordable lodging.  We rode the Auburn rail trail, a very nice local trail, most of the way into Farmington.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Reflections in the canal are great, especially on quiet mornings. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

The canal goes through the city of Rochester, where it crosses the Genessee River.  You can see the canal at right where it comes into the river.   Following the trail is a bit confusing, as there are lots of bridges and intersecting trails.  We managed easily to keep on the route today.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This small cobblestone building is described as the second oldest railroad building in the USA.  I love cobblestone, built from stones farmers cleared from their fields in glaciated areas.  Most of southeast Wisconsin, where I grew up, was settled by migrants from western New York, and cobblestone buildings are found in both areas. This small pump house was particularly well built.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This representation of a steam engine is complete with impressive cow catcher.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Pictures of the whose group are rare, but tonight we handed a phone to an obliging waiter at Otto Tomotto’s, a local Italian restaurant.  Mama Otto, who stopped to greet us, says “A meatball a day keeps the doctor away.”

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 1,111 miles (1,788 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0