Auburn to Camillus - Senior Citizens Cycling East - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2024

Auburn to Camillus

Easy riding

It seemed providential that we had a short ride scheduled for today, as thunderstorms were predicted for the afternoon.  The storms did not materialize, but after the heat of the last few days, I think everyone was grateful for gentle ride and quiet afternoon.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were riding along the “bones” the old canal today.  It took a bit of time to figure out the foundation of an old aqueduct, but I read a description of the oak flooring and planking that was laid over masonry to form a trough to carry the canal over a stream.  In other places, we saw what had been locks, and in a small town, the old canal bed developed into a lovely local park.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I don’t think I photographed a quarter of the murals along the way.  The romance of canal life combined with the availability of wall space certainly inspired many artists.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Because we arrived so early, all our bikes were parked in front of the hotel for a couple of hours, while the lobby was full bikers still in our biking clothes.  The hotel, a TRU by Hilton, has a very accommodating staff who let us put out our lunch in the lobby and who even gave us their employee break room as a bike room for the night. 

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 1,200 miles (1,931 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0