To Munich. - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2024

To Munich.

Last stage of the tour.

The last stage of a tour is always bittersweet.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just getting back from dinner last evening in Bad Tölz. We've been so fortunate to get great weather on this trip.
Heart 7 Comment 4
Karen PoretAre the shinier “bricks” on ( the left side )of the cobbled pavement “stumbling stones”?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Karen PoretNot sure. I do recall them having names on them.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonBeautiful light on this shot.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraI can't take credit for the shot. The light did all the work.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
A shot of the Isar last evening in Bad Tölz
Heart 5 Comment 0
A shot from our window in Bad Tölz.
Heart 6 Comment 0

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and went to the window to see what I could see at 3am.  I looked up at at the sky and was dazzled by the starry night, and I was enticed to give Sue a nudge as I new she'd really appreciate the light show; but, I thought better of it and enjoyed it on my own for a few quiet moments, picking out the few constellations and stars that I knew before going back to bed.  

I went back to bed and had the craziest dream.  I dreamt I was assigned to a new job and was placed in the craziest school with no structure, and the kids were running around behaving poorly as my colleagues seemed to not care at all.  I got lost in the school and it quickly became a very scary place, and one that I didn't want to be in anymore, but I couldn't get out.  At one point, I lost my class and looked frantically all over for them. No one seemed to care.  I remembered asking to be reassigned back to my old school, but I was stuck in this crazy prison.  At one point, I had to scale a sloping ladder suspended between two sections of the school hundreds of meters above the playground to access my class; and, I crawled across it with fear and feelings of certain doom. 

Then, I thankfully woke up and realized it was all a bad dream and that I was still employed at the school that I love, and at the same school I will be returning to in September.  I suppose heading back to work is lurking in my subconscious as summer draws to a close, and after over 22 years of teaching, I still have the 'teacher dreams'.  If you are a teacher out there, or have any teachers in your life,  you'll know what I mean.

But, I digress.

After breakfast, we crossed the Isar out of Bad Tölz and headed north towards Wolfratshausen along the Isarradweg cycle route.  It was tranquil and quiet this morning as we rode out of town along the Isar, and the morning light shimmered and sparkled off of the river as we sailed along on smooth cycle paths and out of town.  Soon after though, the route veered us off and tested our gravel riding skills once again for a good part of today's stage, taking us up and over the green hills, past remote Bavarian farms adorned with hanging geraniums, and through pasture land with grazing cattle chomping away oblivious to the crunching of our approaching tires.

Just incredible scenery.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Quiet farm roads before hitting the gravel yet again.
Heart 7 Comment 0

The gravel adventure continued until Wolfratshausen and at times, the gravel was very ridable and we've come to enjoy riding through the cool forests.  But, there were also times when the gravel was not so good and when it became loose with larger round rocks scattered about, it made climbing more difficult and descending downright treacherous.  But, on the bright side it's scenic, there are no cars, and it's always nice and shady and cool. 

Sue riding along decent gravel towards Wolfratshausen.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Once past Wolfratshausen, we crossed the Isar and was caught by sounds of traditional Bavarian folk music.  This both brought us back to our university days at the University of Waterloo, located just outside of Kitchener,  Ontario, where the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany happens each year.  It attracts up to 700 000 people during the Oktoberfest week, and was a tradition that we both went to over the four years that we were going to University there.  Good times, I must say.  Kitchener Ontario, which was formerly known as Berlin, Ontario had a huge German immigrant population from the beginning of last century, and it still has a proud German heritage.

So, when we heard the music coming from under the bridge we peered over and saw this spectacle:

We watched these huge rafts, each one had its own band, a bar serving beer in traditional ceramic beer mugs, and food. Most of the participants were wearing their tradition dress, with women wearing their beautiful dirndls and the men in their lederhosen.
Heart 8 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonI love encounters like these!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonThis one was particularly cool.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
sarah mulliganI can't believe you didn't try to hitch a ride
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

It was quite the sight, and we watched as the men pried the boats away from shore using huge poles, and the oarsmen did there best to right the raft and get it going downstream.  We watched them drift off and down the Isar before heading off ourselves.

As we cycled along, our route meandered away from the river for awhile, but when we did eventually veer back to the Isar, we passed the rafts once more and rode along side them for awhile before continuing our ride towards Munich.  As we rode away the folk music faded into the distance behind us.  What could be more fitting on our final day of riding into Munich?

Approaching Munich along the Isar canal. It was around here that we had another amazing wild life encounter when Sue spotted a tiny head poke up from the grass and watch her. Then, this long lanky skinny mammal ran across the cycle path and stopped for several seconds and looked back at us once again. What a treat it was to get to see the Lesser Weasel before it ran into the forest.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Amazing paths leading into Munich.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Getting into big cities by bike can be unpleasant.  But, with Munich's incredible cycling infrastructure it wasn't bad at all.  Munich is another wonderful bike crazy city, and is another place you better be on your toes; either as a pedestrian or a cyclist.  There's a lot of bike traffic in this city and it was amazing to see how many of its citizens get around on a bicycle.

Our hotel is outside the famous Marienplatz, and when we arrived Munich was crazy busy. Sue just outside the most famous brewhouse in Munich, the Hofbrau.
Heart 6 Comment 0

When we went out for a walk around Munich, we found it to be too busy and too hot to really enjoy it.  We both don't do well in crowds, so we escaped the Marienplatz area and went for a walk outside of the main tourist zone.   We wandered around looking for a cool oasis to sit down and have a cold beer when we stumbled upon a shady park, and in the center was this incredible biergarten in the Botanischer Garten.  It was perfect and we had an early dinner there and enjoyed the evening under the cool shade of trees in this lovely quiet park.  I ordered stuffed potatoes and Susanna had a salad.  We sat and shared our meals with each other.

The Rathaus.
Heart 5 Comment 6
Bill ShaneyfeltI might have taken a similar photo back in 1977!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat's awesome, Bill. Hope you still get to travel every now and then.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltI’m amazed and how many places you’ve been!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Rachael AndersonI was stationed near Kaiserslautern for 2 years '76-'78 and we did weekend trips regularly as well as taking some vacation. Got as far south as Spain and as far north as Holland with almost everything in between. Then since I worked for the Gov. for 37 years they sent me all over the US and Korea, Sweden, Israel and Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately on those trips, there was not much I could do besides go from hotel to workplace and supper, but I saw a lot!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Bill ShaneyfeltHi Bill. Sounds like you're seen a lot on your travels. Always appreciate your identifications!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Patrick O'HaraThanks, but remember, they are often highly suspect...
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,312 km (815 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 11
Suzanne GibsonI just love it that you love Bavaria! I agree, it's a wonderful place.

I was a teacher at one point in my life, a long time ago, and I still occasionally have scary teacher dreams!

More when we meet!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Suzanne GibsonWe do! See you guys later today.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonI’m sorry to see you come to the end of the road. I’ve really enjoyed following long on this one. Thanks for including us!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks Scott. I always think the same when you guys finish a tour. But, you haven't finished a tour in seven years, really. It's just one continuous adventure for you both, and one that I really enjoy reading. So, thanks to you as well.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesThank you for writing up this adventure through sommany places we have ridden in the past. It was wonderful to see them through your eyes. We are now inspired to return to Leipzig next year following in some of your (our) footsteps.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Steve Miller/GrampiesGlad you followed along, Steve. Looking forward to reading your adventures.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Patrick O'HaraWe are looking forward to our upcoming travels, which will hopefully proceed with less drama and more fun than up to now.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonI’ve really enjoyed your journal and will really miss it! I really hope we can meet the 2 of you someday!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachael. I know it will happen one day!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Michael HutchingFollowed your ride with interest since we did some of it going the opposite way, in June. And with weather that was colder. Really interesting observations- also related to the teacher dream!
Cheers, Michael
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Michael HutchingHi Michael. Were you a teacher as well? Thanks for following along.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago