To La Petite Pierre. - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2024

To La Petite Pierre.

A two-fer of a ride today. 72 kms today.
Heart 0 Comment 2
John StreetOops! You are in La Petite-Pierre, not Petit Saint-Pierre
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraOops. Good catch. Apparently I have no idea where I am.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Unlike yesterday, today I promised Sue around 70 kms, and I can honestly say, my nose did not grow.

Today was a two-fer of a ride today, almost entirely cut in half with two distinct experiences as you can see from the elevation profile in the map above.  Not only that, the middle of our ride also coincidentally straddles the border of Germany and France.

Breakfast  was served at 6:30 this morning, and we were seated not long after that and we indulged in the usual selection of the incredible breakfast spreads that we have experienced here in Germany.  We can honestly say we're getting spoiled. 

Before heading off today, the chains needed some attention so I spent some time cleaning and lubing; and all cyclists know the feeling of a clean drive train.  It really makes all the difference.

Just about ready to push off for the day. Saarbrucken.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI really like premier Inn. You get to keys to the room and can get an early breakfast.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraRight? Breakfast at 6:30!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

We stayed at the Premier Inn in Saarbrucken.  This was a perfect place to spend the night.  It was close to the Altstadt and only about 100 meters from the Saar cycle path which we would continue along today. Having been all packed up, we were on our way with the same easy river miles we have been riding along for the last 3o0 kms.  No steep leg-breaking hills first thing in the morning.   Just spinning the legs and moving along the river with the morning sun casting long shadows through the riverside parks as we headed out.  A nice way to begin the day.

Cleanish chain. Ready to go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Long shadows and early morning light. Sue along the Saar.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Saarbrucken in Saarbrucken.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Unbeknownst to us, about 8kms into today's ride we bid a Tschüss to Germany and a Bonjour to France.  There were no border markers, no signs, and no border patrol checkpoints to cross like there would have been before the EU; we just noticed that the signs we saw were all in French now, and the Saar now became the Saare. But, all along the borderlands here, a 'guten morgan' is as good as a 'bonjour'.

At Sarreguemines, the Saar split into two. One part of the Saar became the human made canal whose course was elevated above the actual river.  It was strange to be cycling along the hemmed in canal high above the actual Saar flowing several meters below us on our left.  This kind of remined us of cycling along the Adige canal into Verona  in 2022.

Along the Saar canal. The only people out this morning were the fishers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Waiting for a handout.
Heart 11 Comment 4
Scott AndersonBeautiful shot.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonThanks.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
sarah mulliganlove this. ..hopefully a handout and not a sneaky heron.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

We have been following the Saar upriver towards its headwaters since Saarburg and we have noticed it evolve from a large and wide slow moving river, to a narrower body of water more akin to a large stream.  

The Saar.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This WWII bunker was built by French troops to protect the dam across the Saar at this point. The dam was eventually destroyed by German forces.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The back-half of today's ride had a very different character from the front half, and it all began when we bid adieu to the the Saar at Herbitzheim.  No longer were we on flat river side paths.  Instead, we began our journey into the rolling terrain of the Northern Vosges region and the first climbs of the tour began.  

Blissful gravel riding in the Northern Vosges through cool and shady oak and beech forests.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tall oaks and Susanna.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Peaceful riding in the UNESCO Northern Vosges.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We both admit that it was nice to wake up the legs and get away from river cruising, and we relied on RideWithGPS for today's route to La Petite Pierre.  Soon after leaving the Saar, we were led into the UNESCO Northern Vosges Natural Area and onto excellent gravel roads that wound its way through old oak and beech forests.  These were the best miles of the day and we rode for dozens of kilometers through the rolling terrain of this incredible natural area on peaceful gravel roads.

Approaching the Northern Vosges.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Generally speaking we've had good success with using RideWithGPS, but I also recommend you doing your research and spend some time scrutinizing the routes they give you.  Needless to say, I did not do that, and we were thrown onto some very questionable paths where a mountain bike might have been a better tool than a loaded touring bike.  

Heart 5 Comment 0

At one point, RideWithGPS led us down a route that gradually deteriorated from a gravel path, to a faint and muddy farmer's tractor path, to something that became questionable about what it was.  Like a gambler that goes all in, we found ourselves in a place where we both decided that we were too far into this mess to turn around, so we kept pressing on hoping that the route improved.  We skirted through mud, large rocks, tall grass, and followed faint trails, hoping that they would lead us to some kind of road.  Throughout all of this, Sue rode like a champ and her years of experience cycling through a diversity of terrain really showed. Eventually, we popped out on asphalt, and breathed a sigh of relief.

This is the best of this section of riding. I was too busy concentrating on holding on earlier to take photos of the worst part.
Heart 6 Comment 0

So.  We made it to La Petite Pierre.  It's a stunning little village in an equally stunning location perched high above a forested valley.  But, we'll save showing  La Petite Pierre for the next post.  Time for some food, laundry and writing this journal.

Unleashed from the 'mountain biking". Me pointing to a deer up ahead. If you scroll in, you can just make it out.
Heart 6 Comment 0
La Petite Pierre.
Heart 5 Comment 0
On the way to La Petite Pierre
Heart 8 Comment 0
Arrival. La Petite Pierre. Logis Hotel Aux Trois Roses.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As I sit and write today's entry, I'll briefly mention that Sue has kindly washed our cycle kits, and we have the most incredible room over looking the valley below.    

Life couldn't get better.
Heart 9 Comment 4
Mike AylingHope you don't get any wind!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great spot!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Mike AylingWe managed to get away with all pairs of socks matching;)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonIt really was.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 517 km (321 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Torsten LifI've been reading through your blog today and enjoyed it a lot.
A comment on your routing issues this day and the motorway misery after Basel: take a look at cycle.travel! Why not ask it for route suggestions along those stretches where RWGPS failed to deliver? If you compare what c.t suggests with what RWGPS tricked you into following, I'm pretty convinced you'll be convinced.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Torsten LifThanks for the tip Torsten. I'm definitely going to check this out. I've been thwarted more than once with RWGPS. Thank you!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago