To Koblenz. - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2024

To Koblenz.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Last evening we strolled about Rudesheim.  Although this is a very lovely town with a wonderful medieval center with narrow cobble stoned lanes, the masses of tourists like us (and the heat) was a lot to handle.  We understand the appeal of coming here, though.  It's a very nice town to get lost in, and for one night, it's perfect.

Here are a few shots from last evening.

Bird shadow on the canopy tent at dinner last night.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott. I just managed to catch him as he appeared to walk across the pole before he flew off.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Here's one for Elmar. Flammkuchen with salad was our dinner last night. Yum.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Elmar KlukasI’m pretty sure you’re going to be eating (and drinking) quite a bit that could be considered ‘for Elmar’ on this journey. Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Elmar KlukasI eat and drink in your name, Elmar. It'll be my pleasure.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Just wandering around the narrow streets of Rudesheim.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Glad we got the shot of our wonderful server in the back!
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonIt’s great to see you both smiling!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Now, let's get on to today's adventure.  We can honestly say that the route between Rudesheim and Koblenz is stunning as we followed the Rhine downstream amidst hills draped in grape crops, and castles perched high above on precipices overlooking the river.

Although the hotel room in Rudesheim was spartan and had no air conditioning, for the first time of the trip we both slept right until 6am, which is a good sign that we are getting used to the time change.  We often find that exercise is the key to adjusting to jet lag.  In addition, the breakfast spread was superb, and the view out towards the Rhine was outstanding.  

By 8am we were on our way and the short 500 meter ride to the ferry to cross to the southern side of the Rhine at Bingen was a relaxed way to begin the day.  If we were to come this way again in the future, we would rather spend our time in Bingen rather than Rudesheim.  Bingen seemed like a lovely town.

Today was a day of almost perfectly flat riding, with the disclaimer that we gradually lost elevation as we followed the downward flow of the Rhine river towards Koblenz.  What was truly amazing about today was the incredible infrastructure for cycle travel, and the parade of humanity sharing this route on two wheels.  People of all abilities, ages, and modes of riding were out.  There were tandems, e-bikes, kids being pulled by parents, roadies, tourers, and recumbents; each with their own reason for being out on a bike; and all because the infrastructure was built in the first place.  99.9% of today's ride was all on segregated cycle paths.  Awesome.

Like I said earlier, today was a relaxed day of river riding, stunning scenery and quaint riverside towns.  Oh...and the heat.  When we arrived in Koblenz, the thermometer in the Altstadt read 37 degrees. So, for now I'll leave it at that and let the photos and captions tell the story for today.  I'll save how we spent our afternoon in Koblenz for tomorrow's entry.

Which one of us is having the healthy choice? Breakfast Rudesheim.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hotel Traube's breakfast room in Rudesheim. The Rhine River. The star of the show.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Getting ready. We almost didn't want to leave the underground parking garage of Hotel Traube. It was probably the coolest place in town to be. As I waited for Sue to come down, I enjoyed watching the swallows circle and fly around down there.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the ferry to cross to the south side of the Rhine towards .
Heart 2 Comment 0
Early morning crossing of the Rhine toward Bingen.
Heart 4 Comment 0
One last look back towards the grape crops of Rudesheim.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We met another touring couple from Switzerland who kindly offered to take our photo.
Heart 9 Comment 0
We're headed towards St. Goar here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Somewhere along the Rhine.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The grape crops seem to switch banks of the Rhine from time to time as we progressed throughout the day. Only the best conditions for the Riesling wine around here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pretty much like this all day.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Burg Katz castle was built between 1360 and 1371 and, according to Wiki, basically formed a customs barrier and thus strengthened the network of castles that the Lords of Katzenelnbogen controlled in southwest Germany. Think of tolls to pass through the Rhine.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We observed dozens of river cruises up and down the Rhine today.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pfalzgrafenstein Castle with the town of Kaub. The original central tower of Pfalzgrafenstein Castle was built in about 1326/27 by King Ludwig (Louis IV) of Bavaria to increase his toll revenue.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Me.
Heart 8 Comment 0
The town of Kestert on the left and Hirzenach in the background.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Car show in the quaint town of Boppard where we sat in the town square for a break.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A couple of guys whose cars were in the show. Boppard.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Marksburg castle. Begun in 1117 and added on to over the next 300 years. The French emperor Napoleon later used the castle as a prison and as a home for disabled soldiers.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Entering the outskirts of Koblenz.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 143 km (89 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 18
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI’m sorry it’s so hot! It’s lightly raining here but we should get a break in the weather soon and I’m glad it hasn’t been hot. I hope it cools down for you.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonFunny you should say that. Today it's going to be a high of 23. Perfect.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago