In Saarburg. - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2024

In Saarburg.

Early morning Saarburg.
Heart 11 Comment 2
Elmar KlukasWonderful photos Patrick! Are they all by iPhone or are you using a ‘real’ camera? If so, what type of camera/lens?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Elmar KlukasThanks Elmar. It's just my Google phone. It takes surprisingly great shots.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

This morning I woke around 5:30 and slunk out the door to explore Saarburg.  When I stepped out the door, it was noticeably chilly this morning, and the waning moon sat high against the early morning sky.  Although Saarburg is a tourist destination, this morning I had it all to myself, so I wandered off with the only sounds being the echoes of my steps against the city walls and the early morning swallows screeching in the sky.  Pretty idyllic.

Geraniums and the Leuk running through Saarburg Altstadt.
Heart 11 Comment 0
Saarburg and the bridges spanning the Leuk.
Heart 8 Comment 0

Saarburg sits in rolling terrain high above the banks of the Saar River.  It is now known as a tourist attraction, and the river Leuk flows into the town centre and makes a spectacular drop of some 60 feet over a waterfall before joining the larger Saar that bisects the town. The waterfall is the result of a 13th-century project to redirect the Leuk through the city centre, and spanning the Leuk are several quaint bridges linking both sides of the Altstadt.  I imagine, if it wasn't for the waterfall, Saarburg might not be such a tourist destination.  It is a spectacular and interesting feature of the town.

After the drop of the waterfall. Must have been quite the civil engineering project back in the 13th century to divert the river through town like this. Look at those walls.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful spot!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The big show in Saarburg.
Heart 11 Comment 0
If you look closely there's a mill wheel down there still spinning as the water travels down the sluice.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Karen PoretAND… the bench in front right appears ( note: appears!) to be a ladder from the water to “get out”..;)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Saarburg waterfall.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

I set my sights on the castle and fortress just outside of town, and so I walked along cobbled streets and I climbed higher from one crenelated tower and lookout to another, and the views continued to improve.

View of Saarburg from one of the crenelated towers along the way to the castle.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Karen PoretAnd the lovely pop of purple florals in the center !
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Karen PoretI didn't notice that. But, you're right.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Echinacea.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Saarburg.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Saarburg.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

When I reached the bottom of the main tower of the fortress, I was surprised to see the spiraling staircase leading to the top open, so off I went into the darkness, and it took my eyes a few moments to adjust to the change of light.  It was a surprisingly longer climb then I thought and when I had reached the top, down below wove the Saar river and the rolling hills and vineyards in the distance.

Heart 6 Comment 5
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful place to walk! I’m going to check this out sometime.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonHi Rachael. It was a great walk, but would be too short for you. It was really just outside of town. All told maybe 4kms.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraIt’s amazing to have such a beautiful walk in such a short distance and what a great time of day to do it!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonSo true. And, I was lucky to get great light this morning.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltYellow flowers are mullein. Might be great mullein.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/59029-Verbascum-thapsus

White flowers might be some species of fleabane.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/50879-Erigeron/browse_photos?place_id=7207
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The rolling hills and the Saar river below.
Heart 8 Comment 4
Patrick O'HaraTo Suzanne GibsonI know. I got great light this morning. Wow, is what Rachael Anderson said, too.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
sarah mulliganevery shot is great, but this one is extra special!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo sarah mulliganThanks. The light was great that morning.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saarburg Castle tower.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stairs to the tower.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Saar river down below. Here we're looking downstream.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Tower. Saarburg Castle. Built around the 13th century.
Heart 2 Comment 0

On the way back through town, I stopped by St. Laurent's Church, and pulled on the large iron handle to the entrance. I was not surprised to be met with the stubborn resistance of a locked door.  However, on the door was a sign that said Eisgang, or entrance,  with an arrow that indicated that there were another set of doors around the corner.  Of course, they were locked too.  But, as I turned to walk away, surprisingly the doors opened and women motioned for me that I could enter.  

St. Laurent's church sits on a former church from the 13th century. The church's roof was partially destroyed in WWII, then rebuilt.
Heart 3 Comment 0
St. Laurent's church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Feature of stained glass. St. Laurent's.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stained glass. St Laurent's church.
Heart 2 Comment 0

So, really nice way to spend the morning before breakfast and our ride to Saarbrucken today.  Today, we follow the Saar river south, and the following day we enter the northern Vosges region, and into the Alsace.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rachael AndersonWhat an amazing walk! Your photos are beautiful. How long was the walk?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Angela NaefBeautiful views!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Angela NaefThanks Angela. It really was a spectacular morning.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago