In Munich. - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2024

In Munich.

A special day.

Before we get to the best part of today, let's start with waking up this morning. Which is also not so bad.

For starters, there was no hotel breakfast to indulge in this morning, so we were on our own to hunt something down in Munich early on a Sunday morning at 6:30 am.  So, we headed out the door and wandered the quiet morning streets and into the empty Marienplatz, when just last evening, there were thousands of people roaming about, and this forced us on a quick retreat from the craziness, if you recall?

This morning it was just us and the street cleaners, and a few other scattered tourists, some taking photos in the main square, and some stumbling home after a long night out.  

We searched bakeries and cafes open on a Sunday and found one open about a ten minute walk away.   So off we went in search of our morning dose of caffeine.  Then, the golden arches appeared down a side street.  Yes.  A MacDonald's.  We greedily thought, they have coffee.  They probably have a pastry.  And, they had both.  It wasn't the most cultural experience we've ever had, but it did the trick.

Today was also moving day.  We are booked at two different hotels in Munich for our two night stay here, so after our MacDonald's coffee and pastry and some wandering around, we returned to Platzl Hotel, and hung out until our noon check out time.  But, before checking out, I managed to get out on a rare short 5km run along the Isar.  I don't run as often as I used to, but it was nice to get out in the morning and stretch the legs.

When I returned from the run, we packed up the panniers and placed them on the bikes, checked out of Platzl Hotel and moved around the corner to Hotel Torbräu.  It was the shortest stage of this year's tour by a long shot.  Maybe 800 meters.

Once checked in, the best part of the day awaited us.  The first CycleBlaze meetup we've ever had with the intrepid couple, Suzanne Gibson and Janos Kertesz.

Part of the amazing thing about being part of the CycleBlaze community, besides reading about cycling adventures and learning from other's experiences about bicycle travel, is that you get to know people you've never met.  Sue and I have been following many people's journals over the years, and we truly feel like we know these people through their writing and photos, even though we have never met them in person.  The ability to comment, communicate and respond to other cycle travelers through this website forges virtual relationships.  And, eventually, over time, you get to 'know' these people and may even meet them one day.

Several weeks ago Suzanne Gibson wrote me after realizing our route passed very near to her and Janos' home town of Gauting.  We made tentative plans to meet the closer we neared Munich; and as we neared Munich plans were firmed up, and today was the day.

Within five minutes of mee.ting, we'd already taken our first photo in front of the Feldherrnhalle
Heart 12 Comment 12
Scott AndersonHurray! Awesome to see you four together.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonIt was a great day. Hopefully, we'll get one of us together one day.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Scott AndersonIt was awesome, yes!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonA virtual hug to all four of you.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAnd hugs back to you!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonIt so great you could all meet! I wish we were there!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonWish you were there, too!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraReally. I can’t believe we’ve never made it happen. We need to try harder.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonHi Scott. I agree. We should try harder.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
sarah mulliganthis is all sorts of awesome on so many levels. super cool!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Karen PoretI like how Janos has “left the light on”..channeling the old “Motel 6 commercial”. FUN for everyone!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Karen PoretI'm going to miss your whimsical comments, Karen.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

After the photo op Suzanne and Janos led us skillfully through a maze of people and into Munich's most famous park, the Englischen Garten.  The park is clearly the gem of Munich and we rode past hundreds of people enjoying the shade and tranquility of this amazing public space.

After a short ride, we parked the bikes and headed towards the Biergarten am Chinesischen Turm and scoped out a table in the shade beneath huge sycamore trees.  This biergarten was huge and busy with people enjoying their Sunday in the park; and, up in the Chinese style pagoda live Bavarian folk songs were being played by a quartet that rang across the park, as people carried steins of beer, plates of schnitzel and massive fresh pretzels to long shared tables.  It was all so festive.

What's the surprise you have in your panniers?
Heart 4 Comment 0
The napkins for today!
Heart 3 Comment 0

The big surprise of the day was when Suzanne and Janos opened their panniers and began to set up the table.  First came the table cloth that was laid across the table. Then, out came our individual wood boards with knives, then the radishes, sliced red peppers, hard boiled eggs, sausage, cheeses, breads, and the incredible fresh pretzel.  Suzanne and Janos had brought the traditional Bavarian picnic to the biergarten!  When all this was happening, Janos and I went to get the drinks. He and Suzanne were kind enough to pay for everything and treat us, and give us a truly memorable afternoon.  I returned with two huge steins of beer, each being one liter each, and Sue opened her eyes as I plopped down the heavy glass onto the table in front of her with a thunk.  

Thanks guys!
Heart 11 Comment 6
Scott AndersonLooking great!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonIt was so much fun! We're so glad you came through Munich!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Suzanne GibsonThanks again for such lovely afternoon. Such a special part of our trip.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great picnic!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Susan CarpenterHow Wonderful! Your big smiles say it all.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
sarah mulliganlook at those smiles....and that pretzel!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amazing picnic. We ate. We drank. We talked.
Heart 6 Comment 0

With a clink of the glasses, we all gave each other a Prost, and had a wonderful time chatting, eating, and learning a little bit more about each other.  We loved their openness, their honesty, and their accepting nature and sense of curiosity.  It was a magical afternoon, and such a joy and pleasure for us to meet these two amazing people whose lifetime sense of adventure is both inspiring and admirable.  After we said our goodbyes, Sue and I walked away and both commented on what a nice afternoon it was.  Thank you Suzanne and Janos!

Sue and I strolled the park and observed half-clad people walking around and wondered what it was all about.  I thought, where's the swimming?

When we crossed a bridge through the park, we watched hundreds of people float down the swift flowing river through the park.  On a hot 30 degree day, I said to Sue, I got to get me some of this! So, I took off my shirt, socks and shoes and walked up the river for about 200 meters and threw myself in too.  It was incredible as the cold canal quickly carried you down the river as the other floaters around me hooted and hollered, and it was quite the fun time.  When I arrived back to where Sue was, I grabbed a tree root and dragged myself awkwardly onto the riverbank.  The river was filled with joy and laughter and it was just so fun to watch people float by.  Not a frown in the bunch.

How great is this?
Heart 8 Comment 4
Patrick O'HaraTo Paul O'HaraI know. It was super fast and so much fun.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
sarah mulliganthe Cowichan awaits you here
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
So fun.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonI love it that you jumped in!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Susan CarpenterDitto what Suzanne said - Carpe Diem!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

What a gem the English Gardens in Munich were.  I think almost everyone in the city was here today.  A good day.

A great place to cool off. You'd think this was on some sort of tropical island somewhere.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesOne of the best 'end of a tour' days ever!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt really was a special day, Steve.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Janos KerteszDanke für die gesamte tolle Tourbeschreibung, und noch mehr Dank für den schönen Nachmittag mit Euch!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Janos KerteszYou both made this day extra special. Thanks so much for your hospitality. It was great to meet you.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a memorable day!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago