In Mittenwald. - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2024

In Mittenwald.

Rest Day Hikes.

Our hike to the Lautersee and Ferchensee.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Waking up this morning and not having to get on the bikes today was a wonderful feeling.  We've covered lots of territory on this trip, and a day off of the bikes was needed.

A view from our room from yesterday evening.
Heart 13 Comment 4
Scott AndersonWow. Wonderful!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonWow! What a stunning place and a beautiful photo.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonThanks guys. Mittenwald was a great place to plant ourselves for a couple of days.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
sarah mulliganI could get used the that sunset.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

It wasn't a total rest day, though.  After breakfast, we got ready and headed out the door for an ambitious hike gaining about 700 steep vertical meters up to the refugio that sits at 1700m on the upper flanks of the Karwendel, a 2 300 meter peak that looms high over town.   Along the way, we began to talk ourselves out of undertaking this challenging morning, and by the  time we arrived at the base of the hike, we decided that we weren't into such punishment this morning.  So, we turned back towards town and made another plan.  This turned out to be a great choice.

We decided instead to hike and do a loop around the lakes of the Lautersee and Ferchensee just west of town. It was just enough exercise that we both wanted today, and the views were spectacular; so, we'll just let the photos and captions tell the story.

The sun just about to rise over the flank of Karwendel.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Bavarian window.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Gnarly tree by the Lautersee.
Heart 10 Comment 5
Scott AndersonLooks like that should be a rhyme.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Paul O'HaraScots Pine
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Paul O'HaraThanks bro. Getting in on the ID action.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Paul O'HaraTo Patrick O'HaraThis Luddite is just figuring out how to register and reply haha
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Paul O'HaraYay. My bro is finally making comments.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The Lautersee with Karwendel looming behind.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Take a look at this little beauty.
Heart 11 Comment 5
Scott AndersonIt’s a 6 spotted burnet moth, such a beautiful insect alright. Btw, you’ve seen this one before: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/dolomites/bike-and-hike/#41184_5kzrfr5urkp6kcyjkjivqvfzxyx
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonWhat a memory you have, Scott! Same caption too; did you remember that part as well?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetThanks, but I found it using the website’s search function. I remembered seeing this guy myself and wanted to remind myself where it was and came across Patrick’s shot also.

I was wrong, btw. I didn’t see a six spotted burnet moth. I saw a five spotted burnet moth.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonYes. I remember seeing the insect in the Dolomites. Just wasn't sure about the number of spots. Plus, I like to give Bill some research.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Scott AndersonBTW...you have an incredible memory.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The Lautersee.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heading around the east side of Lautersee. You can even get a hotel room up here.
Heart 7 Comment 2
sarah mulliganhotel...but what about a swim?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo sarah mulliganI regretted not going in here, but then again we had another 5km to walk.... The thought of chaffing put me off.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
The north end of Fergensee.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heading back along the shores of Fergensee.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heading back.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Doing my best Prince Charles walk.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSome kind of shelf fungus. Fungi are incredibly variable so I rarely give a species.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47380-Polyporales/browse_photos?place_id=7207
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

At least there was a bit of "rest" in our rest day.  When we returned from the hike, we ate our pilfered sandwiches from the morning breakfast and soon passed out for an afternoon nap, with the TV turned to the Olympics still on when we woke up two hours later .  We clearly needed the nap.

I had only just rubbed the sleep from my eyes and patted down my hair as if the pillow had combed it when Sue suggested another walk out to see the famous The Leutasch "Ghost Gorge".  I offered up a groan to express my feelings about this outing, but in the end, we both got ready and headed back out for a little more exploration of this beautiful region.  

The Leutasch "Ghost Gorge" Hike.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once we were out, though, I brought us in the complete opposite direction and this time Sue was the one letting our groans.  The day was getting humid, and backtracking under the afternoon sun made us both a little grumpy.  But, we're glad we went and the gorge was quiet impressive.  So, once again, I'll let the photos tell the story.

These suspended walking structures hung precipitously along the side of the cliffs of the gorge. I know one O'Hara that wouldn't walk this. It was pretty freaky to see a 100m vertical drop between your feet.
Heart 10 Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesNo way for Steve to do this.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Paul O'HaraFunk that shite
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Paul O'HaraHa ha. Yeah. It was pretty freaky even for me.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
sarah mulliganeeeeee...lets bungee jump off .
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo sarah mulliganThirty years ago....maybe.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Susanna walking across the bridge that had a good sway when you strolled across.
Heart 8 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWhat a spectacular spot. Dizzying!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Really impressive gorge.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraTo sarah mulliganYeah. It was pretty impressive alright!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
It's a long way down.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretDon’t look !
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
See Sue?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sue walking across the suspended walkway about 100 meters above the flowing river below.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Susanna peering over.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Karen PoretYikes is she brave!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Back in town.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Karen PoretPhew! Land Ho!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

So, Mittenwald was the perfect town to place ourselves for two nights, and if you're ever through here, I'd pick Mittenwald over Garmisch-Partenkirchen hands down.  Mittenwald is quaint, just the right size, well kept, and in a spectacular setting.  Tomorrow we're off the Bad Tolz, following the Isar River cycle route.  We only have two more riding days of the trip left before reaching Munich.  

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 0