In Colmar - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2024

In Colmar

River Lauch. This is probably one of the most photographed sights in all of Colmar.
Heart 8 Comment 0

Today was a lazy day right from the get go.  With a rest day ahead of us and nowhere to rush off to today, we slept in until after 8am which is a rarity for both of us.  My lofty goals of cycling up to the Ballon d'Alsace was quickly put into the bin, and Sue and I looked forward to a day with no particular plan at all.  We decided that we'd just spend our day wandering around Colmar and take in the sights of this picturesque town.

Colmar.
Heart 7 Comment 4
Bob KoreisThe Colmar selfie spot. Seems like any time I read about someone visiting there, that is the photo they take. Many years ago the ex and I stayed in a little little Airbnb just off the bridge to your right. Was the public market going in the building on the other side of the bridge?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Christy McTaitCute couple 😁❤️
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Bob KoreisHi Bob. Yes. The classic shot. And, yes the market was open. We sat in there and had a drink at the little bar in there. Great food as always.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Christy McTaitThanks Christy,❤️
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Colmar is a stunning place, and you can quite easily get lost wandering around its vast medieval center lined with well kept and colourful half-timber framed buildings.  We also noticed that Colmar's public areas are full of well tended street side gardens, with the streets lined with planters of flowers, trees and shrubs and the town squares were full of pollinator gardens that attracted bees and other insects.  It really made Colmar such an appealing place to walk around in.

But, being such a beautiful place and a gem of the Alsace, it was also a very busy place with tourist like us roaming around.  But, Sue and I do a pretty good job of avoiding the crowds and seeking out the quieter places we visit.

Collégiale Saint-Martin de Colmar is large Roman Catholic church built from the 1230s—1360s.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Collégiale Saint-Martin de Colmar.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Many buildings in Colmar are adorned with a variety of kitschy objects hanging from buildings like the one on the right.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonKitschy! Looks like high art to me.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Facade of Maison de Tetes. 1626. This is covered in 106 heads and is quite the building. Colmar.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Colmar.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Karen Poret..A “cheesy comment”…Mimics a movie set from a Disney movie..why? The wall on right depicts Swiss cheese holes.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

After wandering around during the morning, we returned to our room and ate the meat and cheese that we bought in Obernai.  We also spent some time watching the Women's Mountain Biking event.  Then we went back out to do some more aimless exploring in the late afternoon.

Watching the Olympics.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretAnd the silver medal went to our own ( Santa Cruz) Haley Batten! 🥈😃
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Karen PoretCool. A home town win for you.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Colmar.
Heart 7 Comment 0

Today was a rather slow news day, so there's not much to report.  We took advantage of our rest day and we are looking forward to a shorter ride tomorrow to Cernay.  

Collégiale Saint-Martin de Colmar.
Heart 3 Comment 0
They call this section of Colmar 'The Little Venice'. You can actually take a ride down the river similar to a gondolier in Venice, except the boats here have quiet electric motors. You can see them parked mid frame.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Building detail, Colmar.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a great way to spend a rest day!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonIt really was Rachael. Our next rest day is not until Mittenwald, which is about another week away. I wish I had built more of them into the trip. Part of the team reminds me of this.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago