In Cochem. - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2024

In Cochem.

What is now our routine when we arrive at our destination, is to get cleaned up and head out the door to explore the sights.  We are usually arriving into towns in the early afternoon, which gives us some time to get out for a walk and do some exploring.  

Cochem sits on a bend of the Moselle River and are staying on the right bank of that bend, just across the Skagerak-Brücke bridge from the Altstadt at Hotel Hotel Zehnthof, a lovely little hotel.  And, we have a great room overlooking the Moselle where we also have views of the bridge and the Reichsburg Cochem Castle, as well as the high steeples of the towers and churches across the way.  If you are ever through here yourself, we recommend staying in room 12.

Old antique beer steins.
Heart 6 Comment 0

After a quick drink along the Moselle, we set off to the climb up to the Reichsburg Cochem Castle perched  high above the town.  Cochem Castle  is said to be one of the largest castles along the Moselle and was constructed in the year 1000.  It was destroyed by French troops in 1689, but later rebuilt.   Now, it's tourist attraction offering tours and vast views from the top.  So, off we went.

Climbing up the steep path to the castle. Behind us the the bridge and the right bank of the Moselle where we are staying. The Altstadt is out of view on the left bank.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonGreat photo! I wish I could take better selfies since I’m doing a lot of hikes by myself because of Scott’s bad knees.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonYour selfies are just fine. We need to see more of you two in them. Is there any way Scott can get another cortisone shot over there? A lifetime of being an athlete has taken its toll on Scott's poor knees.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraIt’s possible but it’s working out fine with me hiking and him taking a ride to look for new birds. At the end of the day, we can share our different experiences!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Views looking upriver and in the direction we will be headed for tomorrow's ride towards Bernkastel-Kues.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Micro-ferns. I wish I had have put something next to this little beauty for perspective. The largest fern that you see here was not more than 5cm wide, and they covered the stone walls all the way up.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe maidenhair spleenwort.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/75609-Asplenium-trichomanes
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Bill ShaneyfeltI can always count on you, Bill. Thanks.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Nearing the top.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The views from the top were stunning. You can see clearly here the two parts of town. Our hotel is on the right bank.
Heart 11 Comment 4
Rachael AndersonWhat a great view!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jacquie GaudetFollowing along is making me want to ride this again. Not in July, though. We didn't stop in Cochem because it was cooler to be riding in the heat thanks to the breeze of passage.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Jacquie GaudetHi Jacquie. Luckily for us the heat broke, and now it's great weather. 23-27 degrees. Looks like it will stay this way for the next few days.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonIt really was, Rachel. You would have liked this short hike. But, maybe too short for your usual 12 milers.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Another perspective.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading back to town.
Heart 6 Comment 0

When we returned to the room, I took some time to work on the journal and watch a bit of the last stage of The Tour.  It was pretty clear for a couple of weeks now who was going to take it.  But, you never know in cycling what will happen.  Will Tadej go for the Vuelta and be the first person to win all three Grand Tours in a season?

For dinner, we walked back into town and up a steep cobbled street away from the busy center of town to Castello Restaurant.  We were both in the mood for a good pizza, so Sue did some research and found this place.  Castello's is tucked away in a quiet part of town and when we arrived they asked us for a reservation, but we did not make one.  With a stroke of luck, we were seated on a charming terrace and enjoyed a fantastic meal. 

On the way home, we stopped for a gelato, and walked to the center of the bridge to take it all in, and enjoy the warm evening summer breeze.  We watched the swallows flying from under the bridge during feeding time doing their best acrobatic show.  What could be more perfect?

If you're ever here yourself, we recommend Castello Restaurant. We can attest that their pizza's and salads are outstanding.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Castello's. We think this is Castello behind us. He was clearly the boss and everyone deferred to him. He had great energy.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 19
Comment on this entry Comment 0