Arrival in Frankfurt. - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2024

Arrival in Frankfurt.

Sometimes things don't always go as planned.

Travelers know that no matter how well prepared and well seasoned you are, the probability game of something going sideways is always a possibility.  It's almost as if an evil boogey man lurks around the corner aiming to spoil your vacation plans.   I am figuratively speaking, of course, as we did not encounter a real life evil boogey man.  Just an archetypal kind of boogey man...

Everything went so smoothly today, until it didn't.  We arrived at the airport with plenty of time to check in, dropped off our panniers, and brought our bikes over to oversized baggage.  We watched as our luggage was shuttled along conveyor belts, then swallowed into the digestive system of the airport.  What happens during this process is still a mystery to us, but it always seems like a small miracle that your luggage shows up at your final destination.  You know that feeling.  The feeling of relief when you spot your bag being spat out upon the carousel at your destination.

When we arrived in Frankfurt, and mooed ourselves through customs, we arrived at the baggage claim area.  The carousel behaved itself and spat out a respectable 3 out of 4 items.  Two bikes. Check.  Patrick's panniers.  Check.  Sue's panniers.  Bust.   We waited for what seemed like an eternity for Sue's baggage to be appear, until we had to come to the conclusion that it was not arriving.   We watched the same forgotten bags of other passengers circumnavigate the carousel too many times to count, hoping for a small miracle that ours would appear. But, they never did.  Foof!

So, off to the lost baggage tracing desk we marched, and we immediately began to think of a plan B, and take inventory of things that we might need to replace.  Panniers, clothing, rain gear, cycling shorts and tops, cycling shoes and toiletries....and the list continued to grow as we listed off the things that were missing.  Damn.   But, we knew that this was not a trip ender;  just a problem that we might have to reluctantly throw some money at to solve.

To make a long story short, there was no actual trace of Sue's bags in the system which meant her luggage never even got scanned and loaded onto the plane in Vancouver at all.  We concluded that since my bags had been opened and repacked by Canada Security (they left a tag inside my panniers saying that they had riffled through my gear), that they had probably done the same to Sue's as well.   But, somehow her luggage did not end up on the plane.  

So, we put in a tracing claim, exchanged all of our information about where we'd be staying, our itinerary, and did all we could for the time being.  With nothing left that could be done, we loaded the gear that we had into a cab and headed to our hotel.  Our plan B began to take shape along the way.  Looks like a trip to Decathlon ( a popular French based Outdoor sport chain) to replace all of Sue's lost gear was going to be in the plan for tomorrow.  Good thing we're here in Frankfurt for two nights

On the bright side, we were able to practice our zombie walks around Frankfurt before jet-lag put a strangle hold on us, and sent us back to the hotel for a much needed afternoon nap. We managed to watch a few kilometers of The Tour, at least. Stay tuned.  Like I said, not a trip ender, but a royal pain in the you know what.

As an educator, I might tell my students that 3/4 isn't too bad, but not in this case.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tracing lost luggage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aldstadt Frankfurt.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Frankfurt.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Hauptbahnhof, Frankfurt.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Dealing with things.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI’m sorry this happened!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonHi Rachel. It all worked out in the end, just a pain in the you know what to deal with at the beginning of the trip. Been enjoying your journey.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Check out the cloud. Lenticular?
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonOr aliens maybe. That’s really wierd.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraThat's what I thought. Looks like a UFO.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
View from our balcony. Contemplating our plan.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Mike AylingHope the luggage is found soon.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Susan CarpenterSo sorry- what a tough way to start your tour. Hoping you find everything you need at Decathlon and can depart Frankfurt as planned
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Mike AylingThanks Mike. We hope so too.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Susan CarpenterThanks Susan. You're right. It's not an ideal way to begin a tour. But, we're trying to keep positive about it.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis is why we leave bikes and most stuff in Europe, storage or with friends. And travel back and forth with only a carry on each. Aaaaargh. Hope you can sort things out, one way or another.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks Steve. Hopefully it'll all work out. Must be nice to be able to store the bikes across the pond.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonA real bummer! I just read that your bags have been found and are arriving - otherwise I might have said shopping at Decathlon is fun, just not the preferred way to start a tour.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Suzanne. Definitely not the best way to start a tour. At least the bikes arrived unscathed and are ready to go. It's just the waiting game for us now, hoping the airlines call us soon so we can go pick up the panniers. Could be worse, I suppose. When we're in your area, we'll throw you and email for a potential CB meetup. Exciting.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonOh, crap. I’m so sorry, guys. Hopefully they’ll be located soon.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks Scott. I'm hopeful.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago