An update to the update... - All Roads Lead to Rhine 2024 - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2024

An update to the update...

After a great breakfast at the hotel, we decided to go on a walking adventure to take our mind off of our baggage woes.  We spent the day strolling around Frankfurt, and in particular, the wonderful park that surrounds it.  We moseyed under the cool shade of elm, chestnut, ash, oak, walnut and sycamore trees; waiting for any communication from the delayed baggage people.  Sadly, we didn't hear anything from them, and as the day wore on, it became increasingly clear that we may have to spend one more night here in Frankfurt; which would have repercussions for all our other bookings down the road .  I must admit, that although we enjoyed Frankfurt, we were restless to get going on the bikes and for a change of scenery.  The walk was, however,  a wonderful distraction and I'm sorry that I didn't take any photos of this excursion.   

A walk around the park that surrounds Frankfurt.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After returning from our walk, I thought I'd waste some time putting the bikes together.  At least this would take my mind off of things for awhile.  This is supposed to be a cycling trip, after all; and, we're happy to report that the bikes arrived without damage, and everything went smoothly during assembly.  A broken derailleur hanger, or bent and damaged fork or frame would certainly be a trip ender.  So, lost baggage was not the worst thing that could have happened.

Heart 5 Comment 0

With that chore done, we watched some of The Tour, and passed out for a couple of hours.  When we woke, it was late afternoon and still no communication from the airport.  This is when my impatience and impulsiveness kicked in and I said to Sue, "Let's go back to the airport, and see if our bags are there."  We had already received a notification that they are somewhere.  So, let's go find out.

Within five minutes, we rubbed the sleep out of our eyes and jumped in an Uber.  I was sick of waiting. Time for action. Despite all the information we had read about retrieving lost baggage that informed us in bold and italics:  Do not go to the airport until you have been contacted, we decided to take our chances.  

When we arrived we were not entirely sure how we were going to get back into the secured baggage area.  There were clear signs indicated that there was certainly no re-entry.  I can attest to this because at one point, I ventured too far into the corridor where passengers exit the baggage area, as sent off a horrible shrieking alarm.  I can tell you that dozens of eyeballs and heads turned my way as I sheepishly backstepped my way out of there.

But, on the wall next to the baggage area exit was a button and what looked to be a some sort of speaker and camera.  Like I said, I'm impulsive; so I pressed the button and a suddenly a voice was talking to me in German.  I explained that I was there to claim my delayed luggage, and within an instant we heard the distinct click of a door and a voice requesting to enter.  It was like the beginning of the show Get Smart with Maxwell Smart.  Click on the blue link, and you'll understand the reference if you're too, ahem, young.

We were in.

We went directly to the same counter upon our arrival, but the gentlemen who had helped us the day before yesterday was not working.  Instead, there were other two agents. I explained the situation, and gave them the reference number of our missing baggage.  What followed was a flurry of clacking on a keyboard as the agents looked at the screen with expressionless and what seemed to be confused faces.  Sue and I scanned their faces for any micro-expression which might indicate some hope...any hope.  No dice.  Had we come all this way for nothing?

Then, the gentlemen said, come with me.  So, we followed him to a large room with a large glass wall in a remote corner of  the carousel area.  As we approached Sue exclaimed, "There's my bag!"  

Success.
Heart 13 Comment 8
Steve Miller/GrampiesSuch a great photo! I followed this adventure with rapt attention!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jacquie GaudetNow there's the Sue we (followers of your journals) recognize!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHi Steve. I too followed this adventure with rapt attention. Phew.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Jacquie GaudetHi Jacquie. So true. Always great to see that smile.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Susan CarpenterGreat news! Way to take the proverbial bull by the horns
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Susan CarpenterWe took a gamble, and it paid off. Thanks Susan. Been enjoying your journal. But, holy hot out there.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rachael AndersonHow wonderful! Persistence pays off!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonIt sure did!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Thanks to everyone who expressed their concern.  So, let's turn another page on this adventure and get this tour on the road.  Tomorrow we're headed downstream along the Main River towards the Rhine, and then on to Rudesheim am Rhine, about 7o kms away.  Giddy up.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith ClassenWhat a relief … glad to hear those panniers arrived. Our strategy is to carry on one pannier each and stuff the other pannier, clothing and gear in the bike boxes. We source large bike boxes within the limits and only have to remove the front wheel which we strap to the frame. Extra clothing and pannier in the boxes also provides additional protection to the bikes. Have a great trip! Looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Keith ClassenHi Keith. Good tip, and one we may employ for our next adventure.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago