Nukus to Khiva; (3/3); 21/05 - From Aqtau - CycleBlaze

From From Aqtau

By Ken ..

Nukus to Khiva; (3/3); 21/05

Tuesday 21 May — into Khiva

Left campsite. Not somewhere to hang around, lots of rubbish — turns out there was a big heap of it about 25 m away. During the night a dog had come up to us, barking. Joleyn, from his hammock, told it to ‘**** OFF’ in no uncertain terms and it actually listened and backed off. 

Best apricots and cherries of the trip so far about 25 km in. Very juicy and flavour. 

We played chess in roadside shack and a kid came and hung out with us. Pierre offered him a car of chocolate he ate the whole packet. 

We had lunch in this hut by the road, followed by a few roads of chess. Not quite sure what the hut is for.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving the camp spot in the morning
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Khiva — very touristy, not necessarily a bad thing, but the centre seems a bit like a museum. At restaurant David asked for vegetarian food — the guy said he could do a vegetarian plov, but turns it came with meat on it. A hilarious exchange proceeded with pointing at the meat, and him saying ‘no meat’. Eventually he relented and took back the dish. 

Had a chat with a guy visiting from Moscow as we were looking for somewhere to stay. His jaw dropped slightly when Pierre told him he had cycled from Sheffield. After taking a picture of us, he wished us well. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0