Nukus to Khiva; (1/3); 19/05 - From Aqtau - CycleBlaze

From From Aqtau

By Ken ..

Nukus to Khiva; (1/3); 19/05

Sunday 19th May 

Left Nukus at 10am, heading west towards Khiva.

There is a Zoroastrian burial tower a slight detour way. The initial detour was wrong, and we climbed up a small mound not really sure what we had come to. There was a small tortoise resting at the top though which made it worthwhile. 

After lunch by the hill, we continued west, along nicely paved roads.

We turned off the road after about 60km, to visit the burial site. It’s an old fort, built on top of a natural mound. 

The lady who runs the tourist spot said we could camp at the bottom of the site for free. We went to look for an alternative in the forest, but found it too boggy, so turned back to camp in one of the half made yurts. 

After dinner, when it was fully dark, we could see a cars headlights approaching for a while away across the desert. Eventually, it pulled up at the entrance — we had decided to pretend we were not there as they could not see us — turns out it was just two couples who had come for a night time stroll up to the burial site. 

At the first stop, earlier in the day. Turtle resting
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Zoroastrian burial site. The top part is man made..
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the top
Heart 0 Comment 0
Staying in the yurt
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0