Khiva to Bukhara; (3/x); 25/06 - From Aqtau - CycleBlaze

From From Aqtau

By Ken ..

Khiva to Bukhara; (3/x); 25/06

Saturday 25th May 

Shortly after leaving camp, one if the guys had a puncture. It was fixed by the roadside, but as we could feel a tailwind wind picking up, we knew we could cover a fair bit of distance. 

It was a little warmer today (around 26C), but there were plenty if places for water stops along the way. One of the grocery stores was not marked on Maps.Me do I added it to OSM. 

For lunch, we stopped at a chaichana. The outdoor raised platform had an inviting rug, pillows and table; the owner was nowhere to be see so we prepared lunches and Pierre and David had a round of chess. 

Lunch spot
Heart 0 Comment 0

The owner came out later on and was surprised to see us. As we were using his sitting area. Electricity to charge our phones, and basin to wash hands, we ordered some tea. 

I had a chat with him covering the usual topics of where we were from, where we were going etc. he told me how he’d cycling to Mecca and back four times! 

On packing up, I went to pay for the two rounds of tea, but he refused payment. Another example of goodwill and hospitality towards people travelling through here. 

After 115km we decided to get off the road and  find a camp spot. There was no side tracks coming up according to Google Earth, so pushing the bike through sand was extremely tough. 

Again we found a dip in the land which should offer some protection from the wind as it’s fit to get up to 45Kph tonight. Headwinds tomorrow unfortunately. 

Camp spot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset from campspot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0