Beineu to Nukus; (2/X); 11/05 - From Aqtau - CycleBlaze

From From Aqtau

By Ken ..

May 14, 2024

Beineu to Nukus; (2/X); 11/05

Saturday 11th — to Karalpakia village, in Karakalpakstan region

Packed up and left for the border. The exit from Kazhakadtan and entry into Uzbekistan was smooth. However, the roads on the Uzbekistan side were not — they were noticeably worse. 

Desert plant in the morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Kazhakstan — ‘good luck’, maybe with the rods on the other side
Heart 0 Comment 0

After changing some Kazakh Tenge into Uzbek Som at the border, we headed to Karakalpakstan. It was a bit of a bumpy ride there, and on arriving at a chaikhana we had a quick break, then went into the village. 

There is a very well stocked grocery store, which has possibly everything you could hope for when on a cycling trip — dried foods like pasta, tinned food, but also homemade pastry likes halva and baklava which were delicious. 

There is an ATM in the village. Unfortunately I forgot to remove my card after withdrawing the cash, and when David noticed a card was still in the machine it was too late — it had already started sucking in back in. It’s not a huge problem, I have spares, but a bit annoying. 

We ended up sleeping on the floor of the chaikhana. I was given a huge piece of bread by a trucker which is extremely dry, but I think it is meant to be like that as it is quite tasty — a bit like an oversized cracker. 

The following day there was a storm forecast, so the plan was to stay in the chaikhana to let it pass. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0