Reims to Sainte-Menehould - From Munich to Spain to France - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2024

Reims to Sainte-Menehould

And our bikes came tumbling down!

A long slog of a day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are now heading straight east in order to reach Munich by the first week of July and are planning to stop in Verdun so Jill can get her WW1 fix.  Between Reims and Verdun (a distance of about 120 km, as the crow flies) there is only one town I could find that had accommodations, and that was Sainte Ménéhould, 77 km from Reims. And there was only one hotel, a Logis hotel Le Cheval Rouge. So, that’s where we were headed. 

It turned out to be a harder day than we had thought and not just because it was long. We had a smooth ride out of Reims, having ironed out a few complicated route issues the previous day and the first 20 km along the Reims Greenwway was easy. The WW1 historical stuff started showing up as this region was where the Western front was established. The only WW1 stop we made was at Siller Cemetery where 11,000 dead soldiers were gathered from around the whole region and buried here,  mostly French but a few Czech citizens too.

The canal had a number of locks on it and we had the chance to watch a boat move through.

The route along the canal was fun.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We had ridden along several canals, but this was the first time we saw someone actually going through a lock.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The first Czech soldier to die in WWI is buried here. Siller cemetery.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was flat so the initial riding was easy until we turned off onto an off-road section, almost 3 km in length, taking us through what turned out to be a farmer’s field. Thanks to all the recent rains it was muddy and rough, and in a lot of places the crops had just been mowed so vegetation was 5 or 6 inches deep covering the track and you couldn’t see what was underneath it. About half a km in I slid out in some mud and fell over on my left side into a barley field. I was okay but two hours later could feel the bruise on my left knee and left hip. It scared the crap out of me so Dave led, more slowly, and there were spots I wound up walking. We reached a forest path which was better except for some downed branches which had to be ridden over. Afterwards of course we looked at the map, and it would have been an easy adjustment to stay on the main road. That 3 km probably took us 45 minutes. Mud was everywhere on me and I was wet too, so it wasn’t the best ride from there on out.

Ah, c'mon, Komoot. Seriously? 😳
Heart 2 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe use other routing programs and they all seem to really love sending cyclists down these goat tracks. We cannot figure out why.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Ben ParkeI’ve taken to checking all my routes on Google satellite to avoid unpleasant unpaved bits.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jill GelineauTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYes, I feel like we got caught out more this year because the weather was so wet but I will be double checking all the off-road bits in the future.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
And the hits just keep on comin'
Heart 3 Comment 0

We wound up on a busier state road, the D 19, which wasn’t relaxing but we moved quickly and rode through a military territory, Camp Mourmelon, for a long stretch. (This base has quite a history itself, created by Napoleon III in 1857 and being the location where the 101st Airborne of the US Army rested and trained after Operation Market Garden in the fall of 1945. They stayed there until the Battle of Bastogne in December 1945). 

Dave started looking for a place to have lunch. Looking at the map beforehand, I realized that although we were going through a number of small towns, there were no cafes or restaurants anywhere.  Indeed that turned out to be the case. We had packed a sandwich and a nectarine from the Novotel buffet, and finally found a bench on the side of the road in Jonchery sur Suippe.  It wasn't the most scenic spot as we were alongside a fairly busy road, but it served its purpose.  

A serviceable if not scenic spot to stop and have lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd maybe you could have helped the mail person deliver the parcels for fun ;)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

After lunch Komoot again peeled us off the main road and we unfortunately ran into another bad off-road section. Things started out  okay. This time the route lulled us in and then, WHAM — we encountered slippery mud yet again. This time it was Dave's turn to fall, slowly and gracefully (relatively speaking) and was unhurt. We wound up walking until we found a point after about 1 km where we could get back to the state road. It just left us feeling beat up. 

Slip slidin' away . . .
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretAin’t no fun…My mud routes are still “with me” six weeks later.. ( in my nightmares)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

We can be slow learners at times, but after this little episode we agreed that before entering an unpaved, unimproved trail, we will stop and check out the map before committing to it. Typically, Komoot sends us on these trails, which are for farm equipment use and are rarely used by cyclists as a way to get us off busier roads. In dry conditions they aren't too bad, but we should be avoiding them after rains have turned them into mud slides. Often they parallel the main roads and eventually rejoin them. We vowed to ignore these little diversions, stick to the main roads and stay upright! After all, we rarely have problems with cars even when we're on 90 kph highways, which we occasionally have to deal with.

The last 20 km into Sainte-Ménéhould was  the highlight of the ride. We were off the main road but all of it was paved with some uphill and downhill which, after 60 km of flat riding, was a relief. We have seen a lot of rural France on this trip.

Relatively speaking, Sainte-Menehould was a bustling town of 4,000 people; we walked around before dinner and thought how hard it would  be these days to run a small business in one of these rural towns. The town wasn’t particularly scenic but our little hotel was fine. We were on the second floor in the attic and bumped our heads by my little twin bed - but hey, it had a tub, so no complaints. The tub greatly revived us as did the kir royale we had on their patio. The hotel had an annex across the street and while we were having dinner in the Bistro we saw a group of travelers arrive and go in there. The town is only 40 km from Verdun, and I am betting that tour groups stay in Sainte-Menehould at this little hotel because it’s cheaper, and then be driven into Verdun. 

Our room at Cheval Rouge in the attic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We stored our bikes across the street in the hotel's annex, in their unused bar.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our dinner was good and Dave ordered a great bottle of wine ( a 2015 St. Emillion-a splurge at €60). We are happy to be on the road.

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,775 km (1,102 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0