Concluding Thoughts - From Munich to Spain to France - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2024

Concluding Thoughts

Dear Readers: we made it home at 1 am this morning to be greeted by a heat wave in Bend. We are happy to be home but wistful that our trip is over. This morning as I was enjoying my pot of tea I was already making notes for next year’s  trip.

When we think of this trip these will be the memories we have of France and Spain:

1. Flowers, flowers, everywhere, wild and cultivated, and especially roses and poppies. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltPassionflowers are so interesting! One of my favorites.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jill GelineauTo Bill ShaneyfeltYou sure know your plants and flowers!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

2. Rain. Bad weather dominated our trip, and that was true for everyone traveling and in the hospitality industry.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

3. Mud.  Not surprising due to rain, we endured the resulting muddy trails. We had more challenging routes this year due to all the mud, and we will be a little more cautious about accepting Komoot’s suggestions for off-road routes when it’s been raining.

4. Charm in food and drink presentation. It’s everywhere. Whether it be the service of French tea, where there is no such thing as a pre-prepared tea bag (you must do your own tea basket or stuff your own bag with loose tea) or the little individual bowls, plates, glasses they serve in, it’s all charming. (We’re now on the hunt for updated glassware: we learned my champagne flutes purchased in Murano, Italy in 2008 are out of fashion and we need the tulip to be up to date)!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Adorable Staub mini casserole pot.
Heart 4 Comment 0

5. Unfinished Business. The trip didn’t go as planned, and as a result there are many places we thought we would see and we didn’t. Even areas we visited just made us thirsty for more. Now on the list: retry to cycle tour in the Tarn Gorge and see Albi, do more in the Dordogne, try again for the Vosges mountains outside of Alsace.   More of Spain is definitely on our short list and we hope to do some of that next year.

6. Bread, bread, everywhere and at every meal. We have gotten so in the swing of its consumption that stateside reduction of bread intake will be a big adjustment. Not just in France, but Germany (rolls, buns) and Spain (tomato bread).

7. Dealing with French opening - or more accurately closing - hours all the time, and every day. Whether it is Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday there will always have to be a consideration of what, if anything, is open. 


These were our most memorable days (good and bad!) in no particular order: 

1. Riding the abandoned canal in the Valley of the Lockkeepers outside Saverne. 

Heart 3 Comment 0

2. Enjoying the French Open and seeing how the organizers make it so  French feeling.

Heart 2 Comment 0
A
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

3. Riding the Costa  Brava with our friends to Tossa del Mare.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

4. Managing a flat tire in the freezing, pouring rain out in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in France.

Heart 2 Comment 0

5. The rush of riding through Paris on a Friday afternoon in rush hour.

6. Climbing the Col Puymorens over the Pyrenees to Spain

Heart 3 Comment 0

7. Solving our laundry drama in Figueres, Spain on a Saturday afternoon.

Where is everybody and why is my laundry locked in the washer?
Heart 4 Comment 0

8. Learning about the Catalan separatist movement during a seriously-delayed train in Puigcerda, Spain.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Thanks for reading. See you next year. Jill and Dave

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kelly IniguezThank you especially for these last few pages - it's always nice to learn from the experience of others. We hope to tour Europe again next summer. I will be coming back to your journal for suggestions!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jill GelineauThank you Kelly. I do the summary or reflections (or whatever) because I have found that very useful when others do it. Good luck with planning for next year’s tour. I’m already at it.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rich FrasierYou had a lot of challenges this year! Congratulations on surviving!! I followed along faithfully and look forward to next year's journal.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Jill GelineauThanks. When more happens I guess there is more to report!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago