Fremantle - Far too much luggage - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2024

Fremantle

Tuesday 9 July

Again the day out in Fremantle was a little bit showery, but this was forecasted to be quite a bit of rain but in the end it was an ok day with  not much rain or showers.  Warmer too on this day around 20 degrees as the wind is a northerly.  Most of the rain dropped south of here - Albany way.

Met Judy and Mike at their apartment - in one of the lovely old buildings along Philamore st.  From there we booked our Rottnest Island tickets for Thursday (and for us to return on Sunday).  We then strolled down to the Maritime museum - we don't have that much of an interest to actually go into the museum so we just looked around on the outside at the submarine 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Ovens submarine - the tour inside was not available - not that would have been a good thing to see!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
bow section of an Oxley submarine - Neil loved the torpedo area!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

From here we wandered towards the mouth of the Swan River and looking back towards Perth direction you get to see the Port - small one it is.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We walked right out to the South Mole lighthouse which is at the mouth of the Swan River - opposite is North Mole lighthouse (red one)

South Mole lighthouse
Heart 3 Comment 0
North Mole lighthouse
Heart 3 Comment 0

As we were there and about to head back Neil (aka David Attenborough) spotted dolphins so we watched them with our cameras out trying to catch them when they come out of the water and guestimating where they will pop up.  There were a few pods as we saw some quite close to the side we were on - these were the best of many many many photos taken!

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Back closer to land we come to Bathers Beach which in Summer would be ideal, however it is small and probably over crowded too!  But it is the site of the old waterfront.  There is a tunnel that goes through the cliff and takes you to the base of the round house - gaol

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
loved this one!
Heart 2 Comment 0

I have to say that after spending the day wandering around Fremantle I do like this place.  When we have come here on the bus or along the bike path it looks really nice compared to Perth.  But after today I could happily come back here and just aimlessly wander around the streets.  Now Sharon and Bren you would absolutely love this place - if you ever come over don't bother staying in Perth come straight out to Fremantle and stay in one of the many numerous accomodation places that are in the old buildings.

The shops are definitely not my cuppa tea but they are fantastic just to look at through the window and they are very boutique like and very specific in what they sell, we saw a map shop, a New York cookie shop, a kids recycle clothing shop of labeled brands, a few galleries, lots of eateries and spa/beauty type shops/services.  But what I really like was the buildings ...

I think these markets are only open Fri, Sat and Sun
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
That round building structure is the old gaol
Heart 2 Comment 0

In the photo below you can see 3 buildings the 2 end ones are old and the middle is newish but they blend in well with each other.  

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

One thing we did notice on  a few of the buildings is just the facade is still standing and behind it is the modern building.  We did see one small facade still there and they were getting ready to start building behind it.  I have to say when they do do this they do it very well and the end result is not some monstrosity but a perfectly blending modern building hiding behind a facade that could be 120 years old!

From here we went to the round house or the old gaol.  It is run by volunteers and is a gold coin donation to enter ...

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I like their diet - a bit similar to ours when on the road!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

It must have been a miserable life being a prisoner and the conditions in the cells would have been either cold or stinking hot!

tiny door
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Below is a print of what the area looked like and when you look at it now with all the old buildings!

Heart 2 Comment 0

Just behind the wall and over looking the bathers beach is a cannon

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A great view of bathers beach from the cannon lookout
Heart 3 Comment 0

According to Judy and Mikes walking pedometer thingy on their wrists we walked about 6km so this built up our appetites for lunch at the National Hotel - a nice pub meal, todays special was burger and chips for $20

Heart 2 Comment 0

Naturally we could polish of ours and the chips of Judy and Mike.  Have to say that we were full and didn't really need dinner which was muesli, 3 pieces of garlic toast and 2 mini muffins each (we are trying to eat our excess foods that we have before going to Rottnest Island!)

So in a nut shell - I would come back here to Fremantle but splash out and stay in an apartment but outside school holiday time and probably the better time would be August/September or even October/November but not when they have the school holidays on.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Sharon O'BrienWow Fremantle does look very nice, we would definitely like it & like you say better than Perth 😀 20$ burger & chips great value!!
Off to get Jayden shortly, girls coming Sunday so if you get a chance for quick chat to kids try us on messenger 😊 Enjoy Rottnest Island ❤️
Reply to this comment
1 month ago