Cycle day 59 - Lake Leschenaultia to Toodyay - Far too much luggage - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2024

Cycle day 59 - Lake Leschenaultia to Toodyay

Cycle day 59 - Lake Leschenaultia to Toodyay = 60km.  4501km cycle toured so far on this trip.

Toodyay Caravan park - Unpowered tent site = $35

Heart 1 Comment 0

It rained last night again and everything this morning just felt wet, damp and cold (except for us as we have our warm clothes on now!).  It got down to 4 degrees last night but the sleeping bags were lovely and warm.  There was no need to get up early so we got up at sunrise (not that we could see one being so high up and in amongst the tall trees).  It was slow packing up as everything is just wet and won't pack up small to fit into their bags.  On the road at about 8.30am.  We cycled the 2km up the hill to the township of Chidlow and rejoined the rail tail to get to the end at Wooroloo (crikey they love their o's over here!).  But because it rained yesterday and last night it was boggy and difficult to ride as the top layer was too mushy for the heavy loads we have.  We got 1km then came back into town and took the road to Wooroloo.  We thought it might be full of local traffic but it was incredibly quiet and a pleasure to ride.  Hilly though!

nice back roads first thing
Heart 3 Comment 0

Once at Wooroloo we took the Bailup road to join up with the Toodyay road.  This Bailup road was very similar to the Wooroloo road in that it was hilly.  Not like what we had from Mingenew to Butler but more steeper and shorter.  The legs coped ok and the gears certainly got a work out.  We joined the Toodyay road at 25km mark and this road was a little busier but by no means as busy as the Great Eastern highway - crikey we could hear the traffic on that one no matter where we were!

This road had a shoulder for the first hill we climbed (it was a long and steep climb) then we changed to the Toodyay shire and instantly our shoulder disappeared to just a white line on the edge of the road.  So it was difficult for cars with us having no where to go when we slowed right down for the hills.  And there were heaps of hills and by the time we got to Toodyay we were sick of them!  Not a flat piece of road anywhere around here!  Most cars were good with us and waited especially at blind corners or crests.  There was a long down hill about 15km out from Toodyay then then was a long gradual up hill before joining the south Toodyay road.  Toodyay looked like a nice tidy town -not sure if the buildings are old or new and made to look old but it is a town with a caravan park that is about 2km from town.  The park is nice and there are a few caravans here but not as many as there would be up in Darwin at the moment.

As you can see we have finally got to use our Aldi table that we bought in Fremantle.  It is very much like our Helinox one that we didn't bring and I wish we had.  It might even be better as it is a relatively flat table with raised stiffeners where our Helinox one has 2 useless cupholders that drop below the table top - we use silicone cups so we can't use them as cup holders instead we use them to hold the condiment container and milk container!

our new Aldi camping table
Heart 3 Comment 0
campsite
Heart 3 Comment 0

As you can see we have a lovely sunny day today and really warm - possibly 19 degrees as I had to cycle in my t shirt rather than long sleeves and a raincoat!  There will probably be lots of cloud tomorrow as that seems to be the trend here - shit day, nice day, shit day, nice day etc!

The campspot is ok, had to use the mallet to get the pegs in though!  we have a little view of a river or creek that runs along the caravan park and we can see it between the Ti Trees.

a view through the Ti Trees
Heart 2 Comment 0

behind the caravan park is the freight train line -we have already had 2 trains go through, although they don't seem to be too loud.

Tomorrow is to Dowerin and we think we maybe finished with the big hills and hope that we only have rolling hills tomorrow.  Fingers crossed we have a sunny day again!

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 4,501 km (2,795 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0