Daddy needs a little break - To the west coast… and back!!! - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2024

Daddy needs a little break

Kevin and I slept well in Haderslev (Kevin even slept until 6am!) and we were both ready and keen to try and cycle the 50km home to Fredericia in one day. With that in mind we got some breakfast, packed up, and were on our way not long after 7. Kevin had with him a new car, a present from his cousin. It was a police car that made a siren noise when you pushed a button on the top, something Kevin liked to do very much. “You will cycle fast today,” Sara joked, “with that siren behind you.”

We followed the 170 north, a quite busy road lined with a very safe bike path. Kevin was having an absolute blast naming all the cars he could while playing the siren. He had also taken to saying “Hi Daddy” rather a lot, so there was also a bit of conversation to enjoy there. We made it 16km to a village named Taps where we had taken a break during our cycle to Belgium two years ago. We stopped again for some sandwiches (Kevin insisted on adding cheese to his peanut butter and jam sandwich) and I tried to encourage Kevin to run around and play for a bit, but he was just keen to get home to his mummy.

Heart 4 Comment 0

We were soon back on our way and it wasn’t long before this happened:

Heart 6 Comment 0

It was WAY before Kevin’s nap time but I just let him sleep again and pressed on through Kolding. Kevin woke up again just in time to see the boats in the harbour. Not as good as cars, obviously, but at least he looked.

Heart 5 Comment 0

We were making fantastic time but I was getting a bit tired. I was still towing the trailer and had kept the tent and sleeping stuff in case we needed to stop and camp, so my bike was crazy heavy. “Shall we take a break?” I asked Kevin as we approached the playground with the kiddy motorbike where we had stopped a few days ago. 
“NOO! No break. Home to mummy!”came the reply.

“Daddy needs a little break,” I said, and pulled over.

Then for the whole duration of our break Kevin kept repeating “Daddy needs a little break. Daddy needs a little break.”

Daddy needs a little break
Heart 5 Comment 0

I was soon persuaded to continue and it wasn’t long before we were home again. Almost 50km cycled and it was barely 1pm. Dea was a little surprised to see us home so early, I think she had been enjoying having a day to herself to be honest. She was doing fine now, and it wasn’t long before we were sitting down and making plans for some small trips close to home.
And we would be leaving again the very next day.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 121 km (75 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a challenging day, great job!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Rich FrasierSo glad that Dea is feeling better!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago