Observations - Failure and Sucesss - CycleBlaze

Observations

Delaware Water Gap in the morning mist
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our second  journey was a success despite the changed route. My first attempt was thwarted by construction and impassable trails. There are a myriad of possible routes in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area and the adjacent New Jersey parks and forests. The rocky section on Day One could be worked around via roads. Camping options are in various state campgrounds and a water-less group campsite off Old Mine Road in the recreation area. There are also campsites for canoeists on the river. Some of these may be inaccessible from the trail. On the Pennsylvania side off the McDade Trail, campsites are thin. Although we chose a hotel in the town of Delaware Water Gap, there are other options in nearby East Stroudsburg. If you choose the route on bikepaking.com, pay close attention to the comments. There is much construction and refurbishing going on in the recreation area and adjacent parks. Sometimes it is hard to get up-to-date information. The NY/NJ Trail conference has the best map of the area. The beauty of the area is with careful planning (and some luck) you can make it as easy or difficult as you want. The low  car volume roads and trails make the Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area a great place to explore.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0