Valpolicella - 🇮🇹 Cycle Cruise Cycle 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2024

Valpolicella

Today we rode into the famous wine region of Valpolicella.  It is well known for its red wines such as Valpolicella Ripaso and Amarone, sadly we had no time to stop for a taste.  It was a 79km ride with 3600’ of climbing.  There were 2 main climbs with a few small ones as well.  They were all manageable but was still happy to have a little e-boost.  The downhills were lots of fun.  The first had 8 tight switchbacks (tornantini) so you had to slow down but the second had gentle turns so you could let the bike run.  We were a small group of four, all Canadian, with 2 guides.  Again we were racing the weather since another storm blew in about 3pm.

Late in the afternoon we had a tiramisu making lesson from the hotel chef.  Even though I don’t particularly like the official version made with strong coffee I wanted to know how to make it anyway.  You don’t have to use coffee rather Tim make a lovely lemon one and you could also use strawberries as long as they tasted like strawberries.  The bad news is that it is a VERY HIGH CALORIE dessert.

Today’s route and profile ridden in a clockwise direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the big map in the bike garage where the morning briefings take place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the valley from part way up the climb.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Frescos behind the altar in the St George church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The St George church from the outside built in the Romanesque style. The church was destroyed and rebuilt many time over the years but always back as close as possible to the original.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another village in the valley on the way up the climb
Heart 1 Comment 0
Terraced vineyards. The most common varietal here is Corvina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I have seen roses in vineyards before but never like these. They are used to detect any disease that might effect the grapes since roses are very sensitive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More of the Valpolicella valley.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another lovely village this time on the way down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Adige River that runs through Verona. As a make work project Mussolini had it turned into a canal, all the work was done by hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A banner reminding drivers to respect cyclists and give them 1.5m. Both of these professionals were killed on training rides when hit by cars. The one on the left is Michele Scarponi who last rode for Astana. He was a former winner of the Giro d’Italia. In Italy killing a cyclist is treated as a homicide.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The hotel chef making the base for the tiramisu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My final product that now has to cool. I will give it a try at lunch tomorrow.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonBeautiful dessert and lovely cooking garb. Yummy!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 659 km (409 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gail JohnsonSpectacular views!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Beth KavanaghJohn and I are excited to see your new baking skills in action.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago