Touring Lisbon again - 🇮🇹 Cycle Cruise Cycle 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2024

Touring Lisbon again

The 3 amigos wandered about Lisbon today finding a few places that I did not see before.  We used a metro pass to get around since we wanted to QPwander up some of the hills.  We started by going up the elevator that was built in 1902 bay the same architect who built the Eiffel Tower.  After that we used tram 28 to take us to the St Jorge (George) castle.  

Saint George's Castle, is a historic castle in the Portuguese capital of Lisbon, located in the freguesia of Santa Maria Maior. Human occupation of the castle hill dates to at least the 8th century BC while the oldest fortifications on the site date from the 2nd century BC. The hill on which Saint George's Castle stands has played an important part in the history of Lisbon, having served as the location of fortifications occupied successively by PhoeniciansCarthaginiansRomans, and Moors, before its conquest by the Portuguese in the 1147 Siege of Lisbon. Since the 12th century, the castle has variously served as a royal palace, a military barracks, home of the Torre do Tombo National Archive, and now as a national monument and museum.

After the castle we stopped for tapas lunch and then walked to the waterfront.  I went back to the flat while Tim and Kevin took in a Bansky museum.  It was another quiet night in the flat with Tim making dinner again.

The subway map of Lisbon. Our flat is very close to the Alameda stop. We bought a day pass for 6.80€ but used 15€ worth of rides. Public transit in Europe is easy and cheap.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The elevator built by the Eiffel Tower architect
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tim and Kevin inside
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the city from the top including St George castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again from the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A guard at a regimental museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me inside the elevator. Interestingly it can take 20 passengers up but only 15 down.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Hilary JaegerNice T shirt! I’ve seen that logo painted in bull’s blood on the walls of some old buildings…
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltUp vs down:

On the upward move, the mechanism only needs to lift the weight.
On the down move, the brakes must stop not only the weight, but also the momentum. Like coasting to a stop on a hill going up vs squeezing hand brakes on the bike going downhill.

Solution is to limit weight going down. Cable strength might be the limiting factor, or possibly braking power.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
A warrior statue up at the castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the city and river from the castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wider angle
Heart 0 Comment 0
The elevator and a convent next door from the castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the ramparts. Tim was not too comfortable about there
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking through a window on the ramparts
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ramparts
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other direction from the castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me on the ramparts
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Vasco da Gama bridge in the distance across the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
St George the patron saint of Portugal
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of our tapas, chorizo sausage in flame.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gate to the city
Heart 0 Comment 0
The monument in commercial plaza
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cork seats on the metro
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the Banksy images at the museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0