Something a little easier - 🇮🇹 Cycle Cruise Cycle 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2024

Something a little easier

NToday was meant to be an easier day with no significant climbs but after 5 straight days of hard riding easy is relative.  We rode 73km and still had 1959’ of climbing.  I started out with only one other Cdn cyclist (a cardiologist from Montreal) and our guide Alberto.  The route was south of the lake along a river bike path and then through farm countryside.  There was one minor detour because the bridge over the dam was closed.  We stopped in Villafranca at about the 35km mark for coffee.  After coffee the 2 of us carried on with the 3 women in the slower group because their guide was taking them to a local garden that we could actually ride through.  After the gardens we headed back to the hotel for another late lunch.

This evening we went to a local “estate” winery where they make only 40,000 bottles of wine a year compared to some of the neighbouring vineyards that make 2M bottles.  We tasted white sparkling with appetizers and then a rosé, white and red with dinner.

Today’s route, no significant climbs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our coffee stop in Villafranca. It is a local institution that dates back many years. I looks like the 1920s inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A photo on the wall of years gone by.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonNow THAT is a bunch of “good ole boys” and one woman server!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
The pastry counter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a local speciality, very light and flaky.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The castle in Villafranca. It is hollow inside but used for concerts and even sporting events.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The countryside of our ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quintessential Italian landscape of olive trees, vines and cypress trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the village of Costoza. The monument on the hillside commemorates the men who died liberating Italy from the Austro-Hungarian empire. It was their war on independence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A vie the castle from inside the Sigurtà gardens.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Riding through the gardens.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Allium flowers, this is for you Christopher.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Minco River that runs south from Lake Garda. The bike path runs 40+km along the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tonight we were invited to enjoy a wine tasting and lovely meal at this local winery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of their whites are aged in large clay urns with reds in French oak barrels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The patio where we had out appetizers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The appetizers and the name of the winery, Le Vigne di San Pietro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our menu for dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 580 km (360 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Beth KavanaghBeautiful pictures.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago