Off to Sintra - 🇮🇹 Cycle Cruise Cycle 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2024

Off to Sintra

As is my habit when travelling I got up early to wander about and take some photos that I could not get in the last 2 days.  It was much cooler and less crowded as well.
Later we went to Sintra which is known as the summer retreat for many Portuguese kings hence there are many palaces plus castles from the Moor period.  It now is a serious tourist spot and where the truly well heeled live. The town is also now a world UNESCO site.  We visited the Palácio Nacional de Sintra on this trip and I plan to visit the Palácio Nacional da Pena, the colourful palace when I come back with Tim.  We had 45min to wander about so we took in a little of the town which is very hilly so we didn’t go too far.

Later Hilary and I did more laundry before I just chilled out at the hotel since it is 33C /91F here.  H&C went to the tile museum something I plan to do when we come back.

A monument to the tile workers who created these beautiful streets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A WWI war monument, Portugal was neutral in WWII. However it was a haven for spies from all sides.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sardines are a Portuguese delicacy (yah NO) and I think this means there is a sardine festival coming up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This statue commemorates the Marquis of Pombal. There was a major earthquake and tsunami in Lisbon in 1755. Under the stewardship of his prime minister, the Marquis of Pombal, King Joseph I oversaw the rebuilding of Lisbon with an innovative approach. The Marquis of Pombal introduced modern urban planning principles and stringent building codes designed to withstand future seismic events.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lamp posts along Liberado Ave are topped with these sailing ships.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The National Palace in Sintra that dates back to the 14th century.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The conical structures are chimneys from the kitchen. In it original state the kitchen was a separate building but as the palace was expanded it became integrated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A model of the palace as it is now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This fort on the very top of the mountain was built by the Moors aka muslims.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One panel of 16 swans in the ceiling
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonNow that is pretty amazing. How would you like to be the guy laying on his back installing all that tile? Yea, no…
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
This ceiling is covered in chatty magpies because the king thought the gossiping staff sounded like these.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just one example of the beautiful tiles. The art was brought to Portugal by the Moors but was soon incorporated into Portuguese culture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of many tile walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another room had the crests of the noble families throughout
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonImpressive!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Except for one. This family had a member who tried to assassinate the king so they were removed from the walls and all of their lands were confiscated
Heart 0 Comment 0
Painstakingly restoring damaged tiles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the kitchen, looks like pizza ovens to me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another palace in Sintra, much newer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some more of the mansion on the hills in town
Heart 1 Comment 0
All of these are made from cork.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the palace as we left Sintra.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Beth KavanaghThe tiles are spectacular!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0