Last day in Porto - 🇮🇹 Cycle Cruise Cycle 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2024

Last day in Porto

Hilary, Christoper, Tim, Kevin and I went to the Lello library which was the inspiration for the Harry Potter books.  J. K. Rowling lived in Porto for several years before she was famous and used Porto locations for inspiration.  After that we split up because H&C were starting their trip home via Paris.  The rest of us had the day to tour before meeting the cycling representative.  We went across the bridge to the Gaia side for a walk and of course a port tasting.  Sadly none of us were enamoured with the brand of port, so much so we didn’t even finish it.  We had our Saddle Skedaddle briefing at 5 and it was amazingly thorough.  We have our panniers, GPSs and will get the bikes tomorrow at 9:15 when we will start our ride.

The outside of the library. You had timed tickets for 8€ but if you bought a book you got that back. This is the busiest book store I have ever seen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary on the inside stircase.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Christopher at the top of the stairs. You can see how crowded the store was.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonI’m betting Christopher bought at least one book. Definitely a wonderful place to him to visit.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Looking down towards the front door.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The stained glass ceiling
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fountain near the library
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from the Gaia side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our port tasting that was shared by the 3 of us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the other side with a replica port boat in the foreground
Heart 0 Comment 0
A local speciality, a sandwich with beef, sausage, shaved ham, then bread topped with cheese and fried egg. Then cover in gravy, not to mention fries. This is even worse than poutine.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLet the riding begin!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago