First day in Lisbon - 🇮🇹 Cycle Cruise Cycle 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2024

First day in Lisbon

Having arrived at the hotel about 8:30 last night I didn’t do anything except catch up with H&C.  After breakfast today we found the hop on hop off bus people and took 2 tours.  One went through the modern city by bus and the other was an old trolley that went through areas that buses could not go.  We bought a 3 day pass so we can use it again plus take a river tour.

I learned lots about Lisbon that I did not know.  The city is divided by the Tagus River and is very hilly.  Parts were destroyed by an earthquake in the 18th century but rebuilt.  It is a very old city and has been inhabited by many conquerors from the Romans to the Moors (muslims) to Spain to name a few.

Tomorrow we officially start the river cruise with 2 days in the area with tours courtesy of Emerald River cruises.

Lisbon is located on an estuary of the Tagus River. The longest bridge across the estuary is the Vasco de Gama bridge and is 17km long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christopher appearing to be lost in front of a statue to the war against Spain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Moor influence in architecture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portugal is know for its ceramic tiles. They even cover the houses with them
Heart 0 Comment 0
Art Deco look to the national theatre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The obelisk again without Christopher
Heart 0 Comment 0
The building in the foreground is the military museum with a church dome in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a museum to the history of tile making that I hope to visit
Heart 0 Comment 0
We toured the modern city so here is one of the buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLove the paint! Looks like it is leaning.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
The Vasco de Gama tower the tallest building in Lisbon. If you remember your childhood geography you learned all about the famous Portuguese explorer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another tiled building
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonWow, that took a lot of time to tile that building. Stunning!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Fort George above the city built by the Romans and was where Lisbon was founded.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tiles are also used inside as decoration.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A light snack
Heart 1 Comment 1
A victory arch on entry to the city from the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
From the tram and attempt to show how hilly Lisbon is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacaranda trees are prominent here. Previously I had only seen them in Australia and South Africa. They are native to Brazil.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonThey look beautiful. We also have a lot of them in Arizona and they are very popular in Southern California.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Portuguese parliament
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are several modes of transport to get up the hills, here is just one.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saint Vincent the patron saint of Lisbon. He is supposedly being protected by crows on his death but my theory is that they are there to pluck out his eyes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A local pastry delicacy
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful fountain lined with tiles and a pooch enjoying a swim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lisbon is known for its cobblestone streets in decorative black and white cobbles in beautiful patterns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The patterns vary depending upon the workers who were usual prisoners working off their sentence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avenida da Liberade a tree lined boulevard to resemble the Champs Élysées.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some vino verde as afternoon refreshment, a speciality of Portugal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary’s dinner of octopus.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Tricia GrahamWe are on th cruise at the moment and loving it. Get off on Saturday and head for the cycling part of our journey. No doubt you will begetting on the same boat. Just missed you!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Beth KavanaghI'm certain that Hilary's dinner was fantastic, but dealing with the perception of it would have been my challenge.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago