To Bull Lake - Californians go to Big Sky Country - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2024

To Bull Lake

Rolling roads, reservoirs, rivers, and unique accommodations

I’m not even sure how to write about today, which was jam-packed. It started with coffee, while sitting on a deck in a wooden rocker overlooking a vast evergreen forest and mountains in the distance, listening to the sounds of birds and a creek running somewhere far below.

Our hosts served us a breakfast that included baked pumpkin-cheesecake French toast, ham, poached egg, hash browns, fresh fruit, a variety of juices, pineapple-mango-coconut smoothies, and homemade jams. There might have been more; it was too much for me to take in.

After breakfast, we packed up and prepared for the ride to Bull Lake.  Jim drove today, while Gen and Rich rode. I, of course, am the permanent passenger—at least for the duration of the tour.

For those who wonder how I’m doing, here’s an update: as well as could be expected. I’m still taking pain meds regularly to dull the pain of my shoulder. At times I can be very uncomfortable, and at others, I’m okay. I have to sleep propped up and wear my sling 24/7, except when bathing. The dog bite on my leg still looks nasty but is healing quickly. I sent the ER doctor’s and radiologist’s reports to my doctor. He will review and send to an orthopedist. Then, I expect, the orthopedist will set up an appointment with me for next steps. So, overall, I’m okay. At this point, I’m planning to complete the tour in the truck.

Anyway, Rich and Gen headed off on today’s route, while Jim and I went to the local grocery and deli to pick up food supplies for later today and breakfast tomorrow. We’re staying the night at an AirBnB and aren’t sure what to expect, other than that we know it’s remote and we’ll need to bring food in. So we bought wraps for lunch and eggs and cinnamon roll bread for breakfast, figuring we’d also probably stop at a small cafe situated at the turnoff from 200 toward Bull Lake.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Group picture before we embark on the day’s journey.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The route takes Hwy 200 for about 22 miles and then turns north on Bull River Rd, also Hwy 56, which follows the river up to the lake. Out lodging is situated just before the lake.

The day was quite warm, with intense sun, but still a great day to ride and little traffic on the highways. We stopped at turnouts and took a number of pictures along the way.

Bridge to Noxon as seen from Hwy 200.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another perspective.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Noxon reservoir.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Can’t get enough of the these blue flowers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ducks in rows!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the reservoir.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rich and Gen as they met us at one of the turnouts.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezShorts weather!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

We all convened at Bull River Cafe to have a light lunch and burn time so we wouldn’t arrive at our lodging too early. We decided to order pizza and salad to go for dinner tonight, so now we probably have way too much food. (Not a bad problem to have.) after all, we have the truck for transport.

Genny, in a staged shot at the cafe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Hwy 56 on the way to Bull Lake.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bull River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pasture adjacent to the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When Jim and I arrived at our AirBnB, the door was slightly ajar. There was a broom propped up by the door, so we thought the cleaner was still working. However, it turned out no one was there, and the key was sitting on the coffee table. So we unpacked the truck and waited for Gen and Rich to arrive.

It tuns out that our lodging is a hunting lodge—full of dead animals and the walls lined with pictures of hunters and their kills. None of us hunt, and I personally find the idea of hunting for sport repugnant, so these surroundings are unsettling. The house must be seen to be believed.

Our lodging for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flowers and plants for sale on the honor system.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The main room as you enter the house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The main room from the other side of the room.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Amber StarfireTo Andrea BrownRight. And the pictures on the wall are all trophy kill pictures. It was hard to look at.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The kitchen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dining area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the hallway—pelts for sale. There are fox, wolves, cougars, and bear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the hallway outside the 2nd bathroom.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezThat will wake you up in the middle of the night!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Kelly IniguezYeah, and had to walk by it to go the bathroom. Ugh.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
The bar room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are 5 bedrooms here, with beds for 11+ people. This is the room Rich and will sleep in—one of only two rooms that don’t have dead animals hanging over the beds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gen and Jim’s room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The main bath. There’s a hot tub, too (not pictured).
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first live animal—a horse munching grass in our front yard.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 315 miles (507 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kathleen JonesYou really have to be a hunter to love that place. Wow. Sweet dreams!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Kathleen JonesYeah, I don’t understand hunting unless it’s for food. I had to walk by the bear to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night .
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonWow. Kill everything that moves!

Did the authorities ever contact the woman about her dog?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Scott AndersonI don’t know. I think so, but the woman is an enrolled member of an Indian tribe and the police told me they could only send the report to the tribal authorities. Consensus of locals is that they (tribal authorities) won’t do anything.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago