Stillwater Lake - Californians go to Big Sky Country - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2024

Stillwater Lake

And a scam glamping adventure

Heart 0 Comment 0

After a good breakfast as Cafe Jax in downtown Eureka, Rich and Gen got ready to ride. It was a relaxed start because we couldn’t check into our accommodations until 3:00 pm. The skies and weather report both threatened light rain and warm temps in the mid 70s, and our riders were well prepared for any eventuality.

Our destination today was Stillwater Getaway, a campground and 
“glamping” park, with tented platforms and one-room cabins. We had booked it through VRBO (Jim and Gen through AirBnB). We didn’t have a lot of information, but from what we could glean from the website, toilets and showers would be in a separate building and there was supposed to be a communal kitchen—and not much nearby in the way of restaurants or food. Just one pub 2 miles south. So, after Rich and Gen got on the road, Jim and I went to the local grocery store to pick up breakfast makings for tomorrow morning (eggs, English muffins, fruit, and yogurt) and then to Subway for sandwiches to take with us for lunch. For dinner, we’d decided to check out the pub.

All set, we caught up with the riders at about mile 11, right after they’d turned off Tobacco Rd onto Hwy 93, which they’d ride the rest of the way. Tobacco Rd is a quiet little rural road that winds around roughly parallel to the highway and is a scenic way to ride out of Eureka. On Hwy 93, for the most part has wide shoulders—or wide enough anyway—but the traffic travels at 70 mph or faster, and that includes a lot of large trucks. So riding it isn’t as pleasant as it should be, given how scenic it is with sweeping views of lakes and forested mountains.

When we arrived at Stillwater Hideaway, we were greeting by a man named Ryan asking how he could help us. We replied that we had reservations for the night. He looked confused and said that he didn’t have anyone coming in today. We said we had confirmation numbers etc., and then he asked how we had booked the cabins. When he heard it was AirBnB and VRBO, he said it was a scam, that he’d been having some trouble with this issue for about a year, and the rental organizations weren’t doing anything about it. He had availability, but we’d have to pay him for the cabins and then get our money back from VRBO. Well…okay.

Ryan showed us around the grounds, which used to be an old Girl Scouts camp and still retains that summer camp feel. We each have one-room wood cabins with a king bed and electricity. The windows are screened in squares cut from the wood with wood doors to close over the screens (and glass). All serviceable and comfortable enough. The bathhouse is a little walk away, and the room came with a lantern for walking outside at night (we also have flashlights). The “mess hall” is outfitted with all the cooking equipment we might need as well as a lounge area with couches, a ping pong table, and foosball.

It’s wonderfully quiet here, tucked away in the pines, right on the shore of Stillwater Lake, with only birdsong, insects, and the faraway sound of the highway.

Ready to ride!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rich, taking pictures on Tobacco Road
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the pictures
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dickey Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seen off Hwy 93 near Ant Flat Rd.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eagle!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rich, at the top of the last climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stillwater Getaway cabins.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Should we take this as a warning? 😳
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our little cabin, the Eagles Nest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This looks like a nice place to sit and knit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My view while knitting and enjoying some late afternoon coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of falls from Stillwater Bar
Heart 0 Comment 0
View in other direction
Heart 0 Comment 0
Picnic area next to bar
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 456 miles (734 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kelly IniguezHow is the inside of your cabin? Have you started the refund process? How's that going? I've never had this situation come up - but there's always a little uncertainty about access/door codes, etc.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Kelly IniguezThe inside is fine — mostly taken up by the big bed. There are a couple of wooden chairs and 2 small tables framing the door. An electric space heater, which I don’t think we’ll need. I would have taken a picture, but we had already thrown our stuff all over the bed.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Kelly IniguezOh, and no we haven’t started the refund/complaint process yet. Will let you know how that goes.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago