Polson to St. Ignatius - Californians go to Big Sky Country - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2024

Polson to St. Ignatius

Dodging the rain

Heart 0 Comment 0


It was my turn to drive, and I was ready for a rest after 5 straight days of riding. After talking with a local yesterday about the route to St. Ignatius, Jim created an alternate route that managed to avoid Hwy 93 almost entirely.

When we woke up this morning, it was raining, so we decided to go have breakfast next door at Betty’s and then figure out how to proceed after that. We figured there might be no escaping the rain, so the three riders geared up and got on the road sometime between 8:30 and 9:00.

The route started on a bicycle path that runs nearly all the way to Ronan. From there, Jim, Genny, and Rich rode through side streets, behind industrial areas, along rundown residential streets, and on Old Hwy 93. Much of the pavement was poorly maintained (reminding us of home LOL), but the traffic was light and the scenery beautiful.

Best of all, though the clouds were often threatening, it didn’t rain at all during the ride.

At mile 20, the group turned east onto Mollman Pass Trail and then south on Hillsdale Rd, a washboard gravel road that transverses the valley, for 10 miles before taking airport road into St. Ignatius. Though it’s harder work riding gravel roads, the scenery along this route was amazing, and they managed to get shots of buffalo and horses grazing in the fields, beautiful landscapes, and large round bales of hay.

Arriving in St. Ignatius, we stopped at the Old Timers cafe for lunch, which has an extensive breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu, all homemade, according to our waitress. And they serve breakfast all day, so I’m pretty sure we’ll be back in the morning (and maybe for dinner tonight as well). While we were there, it rained for about 40 minutes. When it stopped raining, we took advantage of the break to go to our motel, which is just a couple blocks away from the cafe.

We’re staying at the Creekside Cabins, which aren’t cabins at all, but an older motel renovated to look like cabins with faux log facing on the outside. The motel is attached to a market and gas station on the main highway, so lots of traffic noise. To check in, I had to call the reservation phone number. They then gave me our room numbers and codes to unlock key boxes for our doors. It felt very strange. The rooms are basic, but the bathroom is a decent size (certainly much better than at Lake McDonald).

Ready for the rain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bicycle path leading to Ronan.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jim and Genny on the path leading from Polson to Ronan.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Zoomed in view of Flathead Lake from the path.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A picturesque barn.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Trying to capture the sun lighting up the clouds on the highest peaks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Landscape across the valley.
Heart 5 Comment 0


Sights along Hillsdale Road

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Buffalo grazing in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Creekside “Cabins”

View from our door into the parking lot and gas station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interior of the room. The picture actually makes it look warmer than it is.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from our window - not bad. At least we’re not looking out onto the highway.
Heart 3 Comment 0

No video today.

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 207 miles (333 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0