Meandering to Trout Creek - Californians go to Big Sky Country - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2024

Meandering to Trout Creek

What could be better?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was the perfect day for a ride — warm temps, beautiful skies, and lonely, well-paved back road. It would be a short day — only 28 miles and 1,500 feet of climbing, so we slept in a bit and met Jim and Genny at 9;00 am for breakfast there at the lodge. After a filling breakfast, we all went back to our rooms to pack our bags. It was Genny’s turn to drive, so it was just the boys on their own today.

The men are ready to ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0

They left at about 10:45 while Gen and I went into town to pick up some pharmaceutical supplies for me. On the way back, we stopped to capture a picture of the town entrance sign. While there, we observed several ducks with ducklings in tow, a turtle sunning on a log, and some birds we thought might be cormorants. Then we traced the cycling route and caught up with the guys. They were making great time.

Sign for Thompson Falls as seen heading into town. I thought it was interesting to place the sign on a rock in the water, so we stopped to capture this picture on our way back from the store.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rich and Jim, rolling along.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View of Noxon reservoir from an overlook.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezAmazing colors!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Kelly IniguezRight??!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Another view of the reservoir at water level.
Heart 4 Comment 0
These blue flowers were amazingly lush. We thought they were lupin, but now think ”blueweed”.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSometimes ID software makes mistakes. (Phacelia)

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/166592/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe just assumed Lupin, but when I looked this up, I got “bugloss” or Blueweed” —
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echium_vulgare.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Pasture spreading out on each side of the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Blueweed, lining the rim of the reservoir.
Heart 6 Comment 0

When we arrived at Trout Creek, we had time to kill, so we went to a restaurant inside the Lakeside Motel, located on the highway, for lunch. Gen an I had the grilled chicken salad and both guys opted for the turkey club wrap.  The food was good and the portions generous. Afterwards, we got ice cream from a little ice cream shop inside the gift shop area. We sat in a shaded outdoor deck area that had a view of the water across a green, park-like lawn. It was very pleasant. 

I needed to wait for a call from my Kaiser doctor, so Rich and Jim left to ride up to our lodge and check in. After the call, Gen and I caught up with them and we arrived together. I had no idea we were staying at such a beautiful place! Randy and Julie, the lodge’s proprietors, greeted us upon arrival, gave us a tour, and made us feel at home. Julie got me an ice pack for my shoulder as the rest of the crew unpacked. 

Some pictures of the lodge:

Lodge at Trout Creek — 10,000 sq ft B&B
Heart 3 Comment 0
The welcome bear.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Breakfast table as seen from the second floor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful grand piano, and I can’t play it because of my injury 😢
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThought you’d have given a stab at Ravel’s concerto for left hand.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Scott AndersonI’m not a good enough pianist. But I did noodle around a bit with my left hand. Couldn’t leave it alone ☺️
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Front porch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our bedroom — the Snowshoe Suite.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our bathroom!
Heart 4 Comment 4
Kelly IniguezI could so stay there! I sent Jim and Genny a recommendation for the golf course resort in Eureka - a change from our usual stay near the border. That was the same day you had your accident. IDK if the suggestion got lost in the shuffle, or was nixed. It doesn't look quite as nice as this, but definitely better than our usual digs at the perfectly adequate but not fancy Kasanka.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Kelly IniguezThis lodge was such a treat. I asked Jim, and he said he likes kasanka better—maybe because of location. 🤷
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kelly IniguezTo Amber StarfireIt's so easy to move up in the world. I remember when I was happy to not be camping. Anything, as long as it was clean. Quality Inn was a luxury stay. Then I got to be more of a Best Western kind of person - my excuse is that I like a chair/couch to sit in because my back gets sore if I sit in bed too much.

Every once in a while we stay in someplace really, really nice - like this one. It's always because there's nothing else. But I surely do love a nice stay! Especially when there's a good breakfast like you enjoyed. The wounded woman deserves pampered!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Kelly IniguezAgreed! It’s really nice to be pampered once in a while.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Back of the lodge. Rich’s and my room is behind the patio table and chairs.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After showers, we ended up ordering a pizza from one of the bars in town. Jim and Rich went to pick it up, and we all sat at the table at the back to  eat and enjoying the view. After dinner, Jim, Gen, and I took a short walk around the property as the sun set. 

A beautiful end to a beautiful day.

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 275 miles (443 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0