Kalispell - Californians go to Big Sky Country - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2024

Kalispell

The end of the tour, but not the end of adventures

Heart 0 Comment 0

It rained most of the night and was misty, the trees dripping on us, when we began our day. It would be a short ride, but Jim and Gen wanted to get on the road by 9:30 to hopefully take advantage of the rain pause and avoid the wind, forecast to rise to 30-mph gusts in the late afternoon.

We gathered in the “mess hall” to cook a delicious meal of scrambled eggs in butter, English muffins, yogurt, and bananas. Everything on the kitchen had a film of grease on it, so utensils and pans, etc. needed to be washed before using. I couldn’t be of much help, being one-handed, so my contribution consisted of whisking the eggs and stirring them while cooking. This place has been such a summer camp deja vu.

After breakfast, they got on their way. Rich and I followed soon thereafter. We caught up with Jim and Jen pretty quickly. They whizzed past where we had pulled, over indicating that things were going well.

So on we went, pulling over again in another seven or 8 miles. While waiting, I read a book  on my phone and enjoyed watching deer grazing in the nearby field. Again, Jim, whizzed by us, but Gen stopped to say hi and let us know they didn’t need anything. The weather was still holding—no rain and looking good for the rest of the ride.

On we went. In 8 miles, we looked for another place to pull over, but the country road had turned into a two-lane highway, with no shoulder and fast-moving traffic and no turnouts. I texted Gen that we would continue on to Kalispell and meet them at the hotel. I worried about them on that road, knowing that riding under those conditions is never pleasant. Also, the wind had kicked up a bit and they were riding into an increasing headwind. 

We arrived at the hotel at 11:30. I went in to ask about the earliest time we could check in—3:00, no exceptions. So we had some time to kill. This led to the discovery of the Bonjour Bistro and Bakery, about a block from the hotel. Great bakery items, wonderful coffee, soups, salads, sandwiches, and pizza. We each had a scone and coffee and then returned for lunch with Gen and Jim when they arrived.

Finally, we could check in. The hotel itself is older and a little run down. It’s situated at a very noisy intersection. Our room smelled so strongly of Pinesole (sp?), I had to open the unscreened window to let the breeze in. But the staff was very friendly and the room clean and serviceable, comfortable enough, though I probably wouldn’t choose to stay here again.

For our final dinner together, we went to a Himalayan restaurant recommended to us by Gen’s stepsister. It was very good and I’m sorry I don’t remember the name of it to tell you.

Tomorrow, Gen and Jim go on to Bigfork to visit with family while Rich and I begin our journey home.  

Stillwater Getaway (summer camp) map
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking forward to a short ride, and hoping to beat the rain and wind
Heart 3 Comment 0
Most of the ride takes place on Farm to Market, which starts out as a back country road and morphs into a two-lane highway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A little bit of country heaven
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seen while waiting for Jim and Gan at a turnout.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The safflower fields were brilliant yellow—a feast for the eyes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Safflower—reminds me of mustard season back home in Napa
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our room—older building, serviceable, okay
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 484 miles (779 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0