Columbia Falls to Bigfork - Californians go to Big Sky Country - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2024

Columbia Falls to Bigfork

They should have called it Big Wind Country

Before I start talking about today’s adventure, I wanted to complete yesterday’s journal with dinner. I don’t always get into where or what we eat, but we had such a great experience that I thought it was worth relating.

We decided to go to Three Forks Grill, because it was close to the hotel and had good reviews online. When we arrived, it was busy, but they were able to seat us right away. Three Forks Grill has a truly unique Mediterranean-inspired menu. Jim and Rich had the walleye fish dinner, I had a shrimp risotto, and Genny had what they called artichoke cakes. The food was flavorful, as was the service, and you can see our satisfied faces in the photo below (except for me, because I was the one taking the picture).

The interior of the restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Creative recipes, well executed and presented.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Happy customers
Heart 1 Comment 0

Now, onto today’s ride. The morning was cold—in the mid 40s—so we decided to leave a little later, around 10:00. It would be another short, relatively flat ride. But with a 99% cloud cover making it seem even colder.

Genny was taking a rest day and driving the truck. She went into Bigfork to visit family and would meet us later, after we arrived at the Timbers Motel.

Rich, Jim, and I left the hotel, crossed over the river and then turned onto River Road, which, as the name indicates, followed the river for a bit before we turned slightly east, zig-zagging through farmland south to Bigfork. Jim did a great job routing us through backroads and keeping us off the highway as much as possible.

The views were mostly of luscious farmland and great pastures, backed by craggy snow-dusted peaks in the background. I remain in awe of the vastness of the landscape here, and I can see why it’s called Big Sky Country. I made a comment to that effect, and Jim replied that they should have called it Big Wind Country, because it has also been so windy. Today was no exception. Though the ride was cold and beautiful, we were once again fighting a headwind the whole day, which slowed us down and began to wear us down as we got closer to our destination.  Also, Rich’s bike has a mysterious and annoying squeak, which may require a detour to a bike shop.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Dressed warmly and ready for ride number 4.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lighting highlights the vivid green of the countryside.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A little bit of promising blue sky and more expansive landscapes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I love rolling backroads like this—hardly any traffic and just so inviting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
How cute and creative is this!?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezExtra cute!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
More views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s a feast for the eyes. I can’t get enough.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I like the lines of this barn. It also has a friendly “face.”
Heart 3 Comment 0

After we arrived in Bigfork, much tuckered out from fighting the wind, we had lunch at the Pocketstone Cafe. Well, Jim had a second breakfast of cinnamon roll French toast and eggs, Rich had a Reuben, and I had an Asian-style salad. The staff was friendly and the food good. They serve breakfast all day, which is a big plus. 

After lunch, we went nextdoor to buy some huckleberry and cherry jam, along with some chocolate-huckleberry cordials (yum). Jim texted Genny that we were on our way to the hotel, and so we were, but first we wanted to check out the closed bridge at the end of town. 

We rode down to see the closed bridge at the end of downtown area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had to climb a steep, 9% driveway to reach the motel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We managed to get the last two ground-level rooms. The rooms are decent, nice and large and clean. Typical motel ambience, a bit of a downgrade after the Cedar Creek Lodge though.

Today’s video montage…

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 142 miles (229 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kelly IniguezTell us more about Rich's bike's squeak? In the drive train? Brakes? Headset? Some of us enjoy all of those sorts of details!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Genny FoxThe video angle makes the sky look extra big and vivid! Great music too-what is it?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Genny FoxThanks. The music is “Falls” by Keith Kenniff, courtesy of Apple Music .
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Kelly IniguezWe couldn’t tell where it was coming from. We thought maybe the pedals, because the rhythm was in sync with his pedaling. Later, he discovered that his cleats were a little loose. He tightened them, but hasn’t tested out the bike yet, since he was driving today. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago