Bigfork to Polson - Californians go to Big Sky Country - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2024

Bigfork to Polson

Wet, Wet, Wet

Heart 0 Comment 0

With rain in the forecast for midday, we had a quick breakfast at Pocketstone Cafe and were on the road before 8:30, which is early for us. At first, we thought the strategy might work. The first 8 miles were dry, though overcast, and we were feeling optimistic. So much so, that Genny talked about removing her rain pants. She decided to keep them on for a while and less than a minute later it began to sprinkle. From then on we had a light, steady rain until 2 miles from Polson, when it began to rain in earnest.

What would have been a gorgeous ride along Flathead Lake on a fine day became a heads down, wet slog. Except for a couple of short side streets, the only way to travel to Polson is along MT 35, a highway with no shoulder. Traffic was moderate and though most people were polite and moved over to pass, we had the occasional car or truck that passed too close for comfort. There were a lot of big trucks, RVs, and trucks with trailers. One dump truck passed Jim so close, he could have reached out to touch it, and I was worried that its mirror was going to hit him. So the ride was stressful, and we were mostly unable to enjoy the views.

Rich was driving sag today and waited for Jim, Genny, and me at several points along the way. He offered a ride, but we were warm enough, if not dry, and elected to continue. In Polson, about a mile from the hotel, we met Rich at Sweet Bliss, a coffee shop, for hot drinks and bagels. He called the hotel to see if we could check in early (it was only a little after noon) and, they said yes. After getting warm and comfortable, none of us wanted to go back out into the wet, so Rich made two trips to transport us and our bikes to our home for the night—America’s Best Value Inn.

The exterior of the Inn looks like an older motel, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that they’d renovated the interior. It’s nice and clean, with fridge and microwave and a large TV (though I don’t usually watch it when I tour). The bathroom has a lovely shower and a big, deep tub so I decided to take a hot bath. Such a luxury!

When it started to rain, I put away my GoPro (videos are useless when the lens is wet) and didn’t take any more pictures until we arrived. So here is what I have…

First view of Flathead Lake.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Genny, climbing on a short side road we took to avoid the highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jim
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A short climb and a look back down lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel room (I know, it’s messy already).
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view from our window.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezThat water looks choppy. Did the wind come up?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Amber StarfireTo Kelly IniguezYes, the wind was rising as we approached Polson. F
Fortunately, we weren’t riding against it today.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
After dinner, a walk by the water and promise of better skies. I love how the sun breaking through the clouds looks like a star.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waterfront park in Polson
Heart 1 Comment 0
I like the shadow design
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking north-ish across the bay.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today’s video — before the rain.

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 172 miles (277 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0