July 18: Bellingham to Nanaimo, British Columbia - Bad Tans and Beautiful Legs: Bellingham to Prince Rupert via Vancouver Island - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2024

July 18: Bellingham to Nanaimo, British Columbia

The sun was just starting to crest on the horizon when I awoke around 5:15, tired but eager to get the day started. I lingered in bed for a short while longer before heading downstairs for a cup of coffee. After breakfast and a quick shower, my dad and I packed the bikes up, loaded them onto my godfather's bike rack, and headed north to the Peace Arch Border Crossing.

Heart 6 Comment 0

After a short drive, we parked at the state park where almost 6 years prior I had set off on my trip from Canada to Mexico. This time though, I had good company and eyes set north.

5 years, 11 months, and 15 days ago at the beginning of my trip from Canada to Mexico.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0

Our crossing into Canada was a breeze, with the border guard complimenting the small Canadian flag I found to fly from my rear bag. The first 20 kilometers or so were largely urban through Whiterock and Surrey, though we had consistent cycling infrastructure that made the riding relatively stress-free. Our route eventually took us to Mud Bay and the Birch Bay Dyke Trail, a favorite of both my dad and I.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking south towards Mount Baker.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

The Dyke Trail was gorgeous mid-day, with a steady breeze out of the west keeping us cool as it passed over the mud flats. Small planes from Vancouver and the surrounding communities buzzed around us in the clear blue skies, and colorful flowers lined the path.

Our riding along the trail eventually ended and we meandered through Tsawwassen to the ferry terminal, arriving around 45 minutes before our scheduled 3:15 ferry to Duke Point. 

Waiting to board.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The steady rumble of the ship's engines lulled my dad to sleep.
Heart 6 Comment 0

The ferry ride was gorgeous, with views of the Gulf Islands, Coastal Mountains, and the many peaks of Vancouver Island. Upon disembarking from the ferry several miles outside of Nanaimo, we were immediately greeted with the sweet smell of sawdust from the neighboring lumber mill. It's remarkable just how much of the island has been logged. Every mountain around Nanaimo was a patchwork of new growth and clear-cut forests, and the logs floating in the bay and sawmills spewing smoke were evidence of this activity. 

We rode the 10 miles from Duke Point to Nanaimo in golden light, the air cool and shadows long. After a brief stop at a drugstore to pick up a lighter and some gatorade, we boarded another ferry for the short hop over to Gabriola Island, where I had reserved a site at Descanso Bay Regional Park. 

We rolled into our site at 8pm feeling sun-kissed and tired, but the sun still filtering through the trees and reflecting off the water in the small bay. The sound of kids laughing provided a cheery soundtrack as we made our dinner. 

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Sunset was not until 9:13, and even when it set below the horizon the blue hour lingered long into the night. We enjoyed a meal of chicken teriyaki before settling in for the night, with the sound of the distant ferry horn only occasionally punctuating the warm night air.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Floyd JonesYou found your mascot.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's riding:

Border to Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Duke Point Ferry Terminal to Nanaimo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gabriola Island Ferry Terminal to Descanso Bay Regional Park
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 62 km (39 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Floyd JonesSuch an excellent start, gents! Makes me so happy seeing you ride together.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago