To Ocean City MD - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2024

To Ocean City MD

The campground is actually pleasant this morning. It's in the high 60s and breezy enough to keep the bugs away. The fish gut stink has faded and I'm happily mapping routes at the picnic table. Four more tables are in service for breakfast, airing out sleeping bags and packing. 

Sunrise over Chincoteague Island
Heart 6 Comment 0
We're getting our money's worth here
Heart 5 Comment 0

We have a WarmShowers stay in Lewes Delaware in a couple days that raised my awareness of the ferry from there to Cape May, New Jersey. It would send us on a different path north than where we were going, through Wilmington and Philadelphia. South Jersey looks more appealing than Philly as a way to get to New York so I'm switching up the maps.

Yesterday a west wind gave us a boost over the bridge to the island. When we start riding west back to the mainland this morning the wind has turned around to push us in that direction. Nice. Once we turn north the wind shifts around and seems to come from all directions in turns with a bit of rain now and then. These all feel like signs of a storm system moving in from the west.

The ride is really beautiful as we pedal into Maryland past soaring trees, small villages and farms. Once we turn east towards Ocean City a gusty headwind makes the last 15 miles a tough go. I'm beat by the time we get to the hotel. We're less than three miles from the shore but none of us is interested in going any further for a late afternoon beach walk. We'll see it tomorrow.  

Cruising back over the bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraThat's nice.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The azaleas look happy here
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 9 Comment 2
Rich FrasierLovely shot! Good advertising for bike touring!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rich FrasierWhy thanks! I'll have to save this one for the next time I do a how-to session on bike touring
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
I guess the canola crops are called rapeseed here. I love how they glow in the sun.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Horses usually ignore us. These curious colts trotted over to check us out, maybe hoping for treats.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The trees give us some cover from the wind on the last couple of miles.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd nice to see the sign “litter free zone” is actually heeded!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
I have just enough energy left to walk to Waterman's Seafood for baked lobster with Crab Imperial. Leaning hard into all the delicious crab dishes here on the Mid-Atlantic shore.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 1,896 miles (3,051 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraReally enjoying your journal.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Patrick O'HaraThanks Patrick!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago