To Manhasset NY via Manhattan - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2024

To Manhasset NY via Manhattan

We don't have big tourist plans in New York City, just a ride through on the way to visit with a friend on Long Island. My granddaughter Juliana really wants to visit the city. I hope to be back here in a couple years with her for a longer visit without all the bicycle baggage.  

I did have one romantic notion to do a loop through Central Park before continuing on through Manhattan. God is laughing at my plans this morning. It's raining, and the forecast looks wet for most of the day. 

Puddles in the motel parking lot from the steady rain
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Seastreak Ferry in Highlands leaves for Wall Street at 8 am. My intended 6:45 departure time from the hotel slides to 6:51. We'll have to ride 10 miles fast in this mess to get there in time. I forgot to adjust the route to start from the motel, so instead of following black arrows on the Wahoo gps, we're figuring out how to get there on the phone map. Once we join the planned route I have to put the phone away before it gets any wetter.

On Ocean Ave as we ride north by the shore the road is mercifully empty. That's helpful because it's hard to see anything in my rear view mirror with all the water on my glasses. It's all I can do to steer the course and dodge the big puddles. 

Just before Sandy Hook where we turn west off the shore road there's an extra loop to get to the steep bike ramp over the road. It might be shorter and easier to stay on the road with the cars and walk the crossings, but under the circumstances I'm not going off script. I'll just keep following the black arrows on my gps.

At the ferry I'm thrilled to find the ticket booth right at the entrance to the boat so we don't have to hunt for it. Tickets in hand, we muscle our awkward loaded bikes up the narrow ramp and board the boat at 7:57. Whew! The next one doesn't leave until 3 pm. 

From the looks of things we're the only tourists in a crowd of commuters
Heart 2 Comment 0

This is easily the fastest ferry crossing we've done. It takes just 40 minutes to travel the 22 miles across the bay to Wall Street. Back in North Carolina the ferry to Okracoke took 2 hours 15 minutes to cover 25 miles.

A check of the weather map shows a large rain system extending from Delaware to Vermont, moving northeast. That extra loop through Central Park doesn't sound like such a great idea at this point.

The boat churns up surf as we motor up the bay to Manhattan
Heart 4 Comment 0
Misty sighting of the Statue of Liberty
Heart 7 Comment 7
Karen PoretHello Lady Liberty! Keep us safe!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Keith AdamsA very Impressionist take. I like it!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Cheryl KellerAmazing ! You made it to NY !
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonGreat image!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsIt's all in the brush strokes dontcha know.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonThanks! I was hoping for something more clear, but I'll take it.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Cheryl KellerTo, Through and Onward. Still keeping the wheel side down.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Approaching the Wall Street Dock
Heart 3 Comment 0

At the dock we wrestle the bikes back down the skinny ramp and duck into the ferry terminal. Here there's a dry place to regroup with  heat, a table, bathroom, and a little shelter outside  above the bikes.  Now the weather map looks like the rain might ease up in an hour or two. We'll just wait here until the worst of it moves off. 

The Central Park loop is officially off the agenda now. Instead I plot a route directly from the dock to the Williamsburg Bridge. Much of it runs on the East River Greenway. We'll cut 17 miles off the day, leaving just 33 miles to cover from here.

Waiting out the rain in the terminal
Heart 2 Comment 0

Surprisingly, within an hour the rain has mostly dried up. There might be a short window before it starts up again so we start off for the greenway. We're not on it much more than a hundred feet. The area around the greenway is closed for construction, and detour signs send us back to the streets. 

Even with all the bike lanes here,  Manhattan is an obstacle course of potholes, cars, trucks, detours, vehicles parked in the bike lane and so many traffic lights. You have to hunt around for the bike lanes that hop from one side of the road to another. Most drivers are considerate. They wait for us and give us space. Just one car honks at me, for good reason when I start up the car lane to the Williamsburg Bridge instead of the bike path. Mike likes all the challenges; he finds it interesting. Barry and I are happier when we leave the streets for the bike path on the bridge.

Quick peek at Wall Street before we move on
Heart 3 Comment 0
I feel small
Heart 3 Comment 7
Karen PoretThat is scary!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Keith AdamsUrban riding holds no appeal for me, either.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Cheryl KellerYou folks are brave. Reminds me of when Shae, Barb and me cycled downtown to the arch a few years ago x 100.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Karen PoretThis was really the worst of it, right at the beginning of the part through Manhattan. The rest was pretty interesting.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsI don't mind a city ride but this is pretty extreme. It's one situation where I'd rather be on something other than the recumbent.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Cheryl KellerI love that ride to the Arch!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Karen PoretIt’s no better here in Belgium in rain with “commute traffic” on bikes! We cyclists are a tough ( it out) group…Staying focused is key…
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
In Chinatown
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of delivery trucks double parked over the bike lanes
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretSuch a shame..no respect for cyclists or proprietors…but, maybe there aren’t many of each?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Karen PoretThere are certainly a lot of cyclists, especially with all the food delivery folks. They have to be used to this sort of thing.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Mike starts up the ramp on the Williamsburg Bridge bike path. Bikes and pedestrians have their own lanes here on the deck above the cars and the subway.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Navigating in Brooklyn is tricky on the bike paths that zig zag in different directions. We wander around looking for the entrance to the Kosciuszko Bridge. The K Bridge takes us into Queens where the traffic and chaos settles down. 

I like Queens. We're riding on quieter streets through some nice neighborhoods. On 34th Avenue there's a two-mile stretch that's nearly car-free. Local residents can only get in at the block where they live.

In Brooklyn
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsBetter, for sure.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Hmm, somewhere there's a path to get up there on the K bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
On the K bridge path
Heart 5 Comment 0
Calvary Cemetery and the Manhattan Skyline, from the bridge
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith AdamsI never thought of it until I saw this, but the stones make their own mini-skyline, don't they?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsThey do! Like little echoes of the skyscrapers.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Neighborhood in Queens
Heart 1 Comment 0
Can't pass up a French bakery. They have my favorite muffins - cranberry-orange.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsHouse of Cakes! That's a must-stop situation for sure.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Keith AdamsI really wanted one of those cakes. No carrying capacity, alas.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen PoretOoh! the Grampies would love this place!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Karen PoretI bet they would. Who doesn't love cake?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
In Queens
Heart 1 Comment 0
On 34th Avenue in Queens
Heart 1 Comment 0
By Flushing Bay, not far from the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quick stop for a yogurt with 10 miles to go
Heart 1 Comment 0

While I'm at the store getting a snack, Mike calls. He is three miles from the hotel and has discovered that the seam on one of his panniers has split open from top to bottom. All the contents are exposed, including his computer. These panniers are nearly 20 years old and due for replacement. Today's the day. 

Out of seven bike shops he's called, four of them don't know what a pannier is. The fifth has a pair for $80. Those aren't likely to last very long. The Trek store sounds promising. They have two brands of panniers - Bontrager of course, and even better, Ortliebs. He has to backtrack seven miles to get them, coming close to the original mileage estimate for the day, but is happy to find high quality bags.

Mike isn't sure how long that bag was split open before he noticed it. Lucky he didn't lose anything.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Kelly IniguezDoes that say Axiom brand? Whatever it is, 20 years is a good run! I had a laugh at so many stores not knowing what panniers are - lucky you were some place that had some stock.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Karen PoretEven though Bontrager is my neighbor, the Ortlieb brand is best. 🤫
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Kelly IniguezYep, Axiom. They are still in business. My Arkels are 10 years old. I'd give them pretty good odds of going another 10.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Bonus - the new waterproof Ortliebs are a little roomier than the old panniers.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Little Bay Park in Queens
Heart 2 Comment 0
Passing the Throg's Neck Bridge to the Bronx, one borough we won't be visiting today.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking at Willet's Point near Fort Totten
Heart 4 Comment 0

On the last two miles into Manhasset we find the first really steep hills of the trip. There are plenty of these at home in Missouri, but I've gone soft after 2,000 miles of mostly flat coastal terrain. There will be more hills on the final phase of the tour through New  York and New England. Better get over it. Pretty houses in the shady neighborhoods offer some  distraction from the work to get up the hills.

Climbing up the path on Northern Boulevard in Great Neck
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

It's been mostly dry since we ventured out into the streets of Manhattan this morning. I guess we could have ridden through Central Park after all, but I've had plenty of adventure for today. 

Our tiny room at the dingy Travelodge in Manhassat can't hold all the bikes so Barry and I lock ours together outside the window. We don't worry much about the recumbents getting stolen. I think most people wouldn't know what to do with them. 

We chose the route through Long Island to see our friend Curt Trinko who lives just north of here in Port Washington. Curt says Barry was his first friend when he moved to Minocqua Wisconsin in third grade. We meet up with Curt and his former wife Donna for a wonderful dinner at Gatsby's Landing in Roslyn. Visiting with good friends and family has sure been one of the great pleasures of our trip. 

Heart 5 Comment 2
Karen PoretOld friends are THE best!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Karen PoretThat's so true. Come to think of it, I've known Curt and Donna for 34 years. It's such a treat to see them again.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 2,155 miles (3,468 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 10
Rich FrasierYou are very brave people! What an epic day!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Kelly IniguezI wouldn't even dream of making that ride. You are much more adventurous than I! My helmet off to you.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Scott AndersonCongrats for having the gumption to do this! We biked NYC a decade go, at the end of a ride that started on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The city was just trying to become bike friendly, opening up Manhattan with bike lanes and their first bike share program. We felt like pioneers, and were surprised at how much we enjoyed it - thrilling really. Once was enough though.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rich FrasierThanks Rich. It was pretty satisfying to get through this one. Just keep pedaling.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Kelly IniguezThanks! I'm excited to follow your adventure in the cool Pacific Northwest. Great time to be there.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonIt really was fascinating to see how they have shoehorned the bike lanes in wherever possible. Once is enough for me too.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
James WilsonGeez! I was wondering how you would make your way through the NYC logjam (doing it in the rain is a testament to fearless perseverance). Having survived grown up in the area I was relieved when you passed on Central Park. Manhattan can be……..challenging. 😆
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo James WilsonWell now, I was feeling rather wimpy about skipping the Central Park loop. So nice to get affirmation on that decision.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
James WilsonTo Janice BranhamBuy me a beer sometime and I’ll tell you my Manhattan stories. 😊
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Janice BranhamTo James WilsonYou're on. I'd love any advice for the time I make a run at the city.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago