To Falmouth MA - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2024

To Falmouth MA

Falmouth sits on the southwest corner of Cape Cod just 19 miles from our motel in Buzzard's Bay. I have driven past the signs for Falmouth dozens of times on the way to Chatham. Barry made a 90 mile round trip there from Chatham on the bike a few years ago to visit the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.

Today is my big chance to see the place on a much shorter and easier ride. We have a gorgeous day for it, and time this afternoon to check the ocean science stuff in Woods Hole.

First we have to get over the Bourne Bridge. There's no bike lane on it, just a sidewalk and a drop of 12 inches or more from there down to the roadway. Everything I've read about getting across the bridge on a bike recommends walking. This seems wise.

An unusually quiet moment on the bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking down the Cape Cod Canal towards the railroad bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another look at the bridge from below
Heart 3 Comment 0

After riding  the path along the canal for a little while we continue south on the Shore Road through the neighborhoods. Small harbors are tucked into the inlets here and there. 

In North Falmouth we get on the Shining Sea Bikeway, a rail trail that runs to the village of Woods Hole. The path was named for a line in the song America The Beautiful, written by Falmouth native Katharine Lee Bates.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Little harbors everywhere
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the Shining Sea Bikeway
Heart 4 Comment 0
Clear freshwater ponds abound on the Cape
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Great Sippewissett Marsh, important habitat for shellfish and migratory birds
Heart 5 Comment 0

Barry is having another rough day mechanically. The electric shifter in front is flaky again and his chain comes off soon after we get on the bike path. Then the rear tire flats again because the patch he put on the tube yesterday failed. It's one of those pre-glued "Super" patches. We won't be using any  more of those. When he tries to remove the patch the tube tears in half so cleanly it looks like it was cut with scissors.

Good thing he has another tube
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWell, that’s disgusting.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonHe was pretty disgusted that the dang tire flatted yesterday in the first place. It didn't even make it through the day after he put it on.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Still smilin'
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rolling again
Heart 6 Comment 0
On the bikeway near Falmouth Town Center, a mural painted by Falmouth High School students portrays the salt marshes, the ferry to Martha's Vineyard nearby, seaside life, and the train that once ran here.
Heart 2 Comment 0

In the town center of Falmouth we detour off the bikeway to drop our panniers off at the motel and find some lunch. My search for takeout sandwiches turns up a real French bakery - Maison Villatte. They have a yummy Cape sandwich of turkey and brie on a cranberry baguette that we split for lunch. I can't resist picking up two pretty little tarts for a snack later. Then it's back to the bike path for a few more miles down to Woods Hole.

St. Patrick Church in Falmouth
Heart 4 Comment 0
French cafe music plays at Maison Villatte, an authentic boulangerie
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ooh la la! I want one of everything. We'll have to come back here tomorrow for breakfast
Heart 4 Comment 0
It's a skinny one, but there is a beach here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Woods Hole
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Woods Hole
Heart 2 Comment 0

The village of Woods Hole, part of the town of Falmouth, is home to a scientific community of marine biologists and oceanographic researchers. It seems fitting to be here after two months of cruising the beaches on the Atlantic Ocean.

We catch up with Mike at the Science Aquarium. Established in 1875, it's said to be the oldest public aquarium in the country. Scientists with NOAA Fisheries here collect data on the distribution and health of marine life in the region. They have a collection of 80 species of animals from the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic waters.

The Atlantic Wolffish is a bottom dweller that ranges from Cape Cod north to Greenland and gets up to 5 feet long. Handsome fella.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Striped Burrfish puff themselves up by taking in water and air, making their spines stick out to deter predators.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Loggerheads range up and down the Atlantic. We were near prime nesting grounds on North Carolina's Outer Banks. The incubation temperature determines the sex of the turtles. The warmer the sand, the more female turtles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looks like a baby turtle. It's actually an 18 year old Diamondback Terrapin.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After the aquarium we have a little time to check out the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. WHOI operates a fleet of research vessels to study the ocean and its role in the health of the planet. 

Their research into the Twilight Zone -dark places 200-1,000 meters deep- shows the ocean's impact in sequestering carbon. Each year, the ocean absorbs about 2.5 billion tons of carbon dioxide through photosynthesis and migration of marine life from the surface to deeper water. Carbon trapped below the Twilight Zone can stay there for more than 100 years.

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
Heart 1 Comment 0
This little guy is playing in a replica of the Alvin, a submersible that can dive as much as 6500 meters below sea level.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Researchers using the Alvin bring back marine life samples from deep in the ocean, like the giant tubeworms that live near hydrothermal vents.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonGreat photo. What a wierd life form. I love the little crabs on it too.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonLooks like it could be some life form in a George Lucas film
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

On the way back to town we stop for a walk on the skinny beach. Two friendly young women from Falmouth in bikinis seem not at all bothered by the cool wind. The sand isn't pristine like so many of the beaches we've visited, still nice to walk on barefoot though. This early in the season the water is warmer than I expected, certainly more so than back on Assateague Island in Virginia. That's the coldest water I can remember.

On Falmouth Beach by the bike path
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Mike is dining at the beach tonight under the full moon. The provisioning is pretty good around here. I think he mentioned a Boston Cream Pie. 

Mike's view of the moon. He heard someone say it's a Strawberry Moon.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are more into the idea of an indoor meal. There's a nice looking Italian place downtown not far from the motel.

Dinner at La Cucina Sul Mare. After their salad with cranberry and macadamia nut dressing, the linguini with scallops and shrimp is the perfect finish to a great day.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThat looks really delicious!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonIt's a contender for most memorable restaurant meal of the trip.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
One more peek at the lovely moon. Those clouds do seem to have a strawberry tinge to them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 2,453 miles (3,948 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonI finally got caught up on your journal! I see the post is from May 22. I hope all is well with both of you! I’m sorry Barry and you have had so many bike issues.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rich FrasierThis sounds like it was almost a perfect cycle touring day. Sorry about that flat, Barry!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonYep, I have slowed down on the posts, guess I'm savoring the last few days. We've had issues for sure. I'm just happy we have managed to keep pedaling.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Rich FrasierIt really was a lovely day, the kind that makes me want to do this all the time.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago