To Buzzards Bay MA - Winging it up the Atlantic Coast - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2024

To Buzzards Bay MA

The day started out cool and is warming up as the fog burns off. It's so nice to ride in the sunshine again. We have 60 miles to cover today, our last long ride. I would have liked a little less but couldn't find a place to stay before Buzzard's Bay. 

Most of the hill work is on the first half of the ride. There are lots of turns and narrow shoulders on the roads through the Rhode Island neighborhoods, and a fair amount of car traffic. Drivers keep their distance for the most part.

On the east side of the bridge from Newport and Aquidneck Island, Tiverton was part of the Massachusetts Bay Province before it was annexed to Rhode Island by royal decree in 1747. It's still more of a suburb of Fall River Massachusetts. Fall River was the hometown of my Aunt Anita Paradis. She was a big part of the magic of our visits to Cape Cod.

Narragansett Bay
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Portsmouth, a town settled in 1638 by religious dissenters from Massachusetts Bay Colony
Heart 1 Comment 0
Portsmouth homes by the eastern shore of Narragansett Bay
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fluffy wisteria blooms
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tiverton Rhode Island from the bridge over the bay
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonTiverton?? We’re in Tiverton.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonWe might cross paths with a few other New England names adopted from the UK - possibly Harwich, Falmouth, Wareham
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Massachusetts has these wonderful signs that greet you in each town.
Heart 2 Comment 0

From Fall River we ride through Dartmouth into the old whaling seaport of New Bedford. Last year Massachusetts passed a four foot bicycle passing law. Most drivers are giving us at least that much space. Just a few of them haven't got the message. 

I'm on the lookout for a grocery or sandwich shop for lunch. A convenience store sub is the best we can do without adding more miles to the day. Oh well, it'll get the job done.

New Bedford
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bike path along the John F. Kennedy Highway in New Bedford
Heart 2 Comment 0
The harbor in New Bedford
Heart 2 Comment 0
Score! The drawbridge is just dropping back into place as we pull up to it on the bike path.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Soon after we cross the New Bedford harbor bridge into Fairhaven, Barry has an in-and-out puncture flat on his brand new Vittoria Urbano rear tire. It's been on the bike less than 24 hours. I'm more inclined toward tubeless tires on my next bike, whenever that may be.

We are mostly done with the hills now, riding the Phoenix Rail Trail for a few miles, then turning north to Mattapoisett. As we continue on to Wareham it's starting to feel more like Cape Cod here. Sunlight filters through the pines and the air smells of pine sap and beach roses. 

On the Phoenix Rail Trail in Fairhaven
Heart 2 Comment 0
Woodsy roads turn north to Mattapoisett
Heart 5 Comment 0
Mattapoisett
Heart 1 Comment 0
I have motored past Wareham dozens of times on the highway. This is the first time I've actually been through the town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Onset a headwind blows up over the bay and pulls the sun visor off my helmet. Time for a break.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mint chocolate chip, just the thing for attitude adjustment
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rich FrasierIce cream is always appropriate when on a bike tour. Good choice!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rachael AndersonOne of my favorites.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Windy afternoon in Onset
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our small but comfy room in Buzzard's Bay is less than a mile from the Bourne Bridge. Tomorrow we ride into Cape Cod for the last few days of our tour. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Dinner at Mezza Luna, a great Italian place run by the same family for over 80 years.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 2,424 miles (3,901 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0