Bracebridge Heath and Lincoln loop - Four in One (UK from April to July) - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2024

Bracebridge Heath and Lincoln loop

sunshine

 

On farm tracks southwest of Washingborough, then up Lincoln's High Street
Heart 0 Comment 0

 After yesterday's ride out to Torksey, we wonder where to head to today, what with the weather being quite decent. Instead of the familiar path into Lincoln, I suggest a loop via Bracebridge Heath, just to the south of Washingborough. Debbie has never done this loop, which follows a winding farm track before whizzing down a hill to the bottom of Lincoln's High Street.

 Debbie has a cycling jacket on, but it's pretty  warm and it comes off once we start riding up the rough track - we're in open countryside after just a few minutes' of riding from Dave's house and still-green wheat fields sway gently in the breeze and stretch away to the horizon.

The blue jacket comes off as the rough track rises after we pass Cliff Farm
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wheat
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Blue Spruce -- thanks, Bill
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonBill might have other ideas here.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltBlue spruce. Pines have longer needles and they are in bundles of 2 or more with a thin membrane at the base.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/119092-Picea-pungens/browse_photos?place_id=6858
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

 The wheat gives way to peas after we cross over a busy B road and past Ashfield House - a large Georgian pile secluded from the gaze of passersby like us by mature trees. 

 There's a small white cabinet fixed outside another remote house not far away and it has a handful of books inside. There's a label afixed to it saying its one of the Little Free Library boxes and I just wonder who passes here and sees it - we're off the beaten track. 

 The farm track then leads through Westfield Farm, across its large concrete yard where a few agricultural vehicles are parked up, before veering north on a cycle path that goes over a bridge spanning the A15. 

Near Ashfield House
Heart 3 Comment 0
Little Free Library
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Photo taken by Debbie with her phone - Bracebridge Heath
Heart 4 Comment 0

 The cycle path takes us onto a road that goes into Bracebridge Heath. A century ago this place would have been a farming community, but there's been development since the the war and it has a suburban vibe. 

 The A607 begins to drop and we pick up speed as we reach the southern end of Lincoln. There's an Aldi supermarket a bit furter south and Debbie is interested in what it has to offer, so we make a detour to find out... I was here with Ruby not long ago and was suprised how cheap things were - certainly cheaper than the Coop in Washingborough.

 We buy some fruit and Debbie gets a cotton England T-shirt with Euro 2024 on it. It's only a fiver. She'll likely give it to her brother back in Taiwan. It's a cheap gift.

 We're both quite hungry by teh time we get into town, so buy some chips with curry sauce and find somewhere to sit and eat them before having a decent coffee nearby.

 At the top end of the High Street are a few charity shops, so we browse them before heading back to the river and getting onto the cycle path to Washingborough. We haven't very cycled far, but it feels like it's been an adventure of sorts.

  

Pokémon GO tattoo in Lincoln
Heart 2 Comment 0
Debbie having some chips with curry sauce
Heart 2 Comment 0
I took a snap like this many years ago - the window display hasn't changed
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 3
Scott AndersonIntentionally not liked.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Graham FinchTo Scott AndersonToo crass?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchJust one old fart’s opinion.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Debbie on the way out of Lincoln, riding beside the River Witham
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cycle path one more time
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 681 km (423 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0