Meeting and Riding with Friends - Boy Oh Boy, Allgäu! - CycleBlaze

Meeting and Riding with Friends

Although I have never met them in person, I feel I know many CycleBlazers well just from reading their journals and I call them my friends. I have had the pleasure of meeting several in flesh and blood. While waiting for the beginning of my next tour in less than two weeks, I have attempted to compile all the meet-ups with CycleBlazers over the past years.

The first CBers we meet are Rachael and Scott Anderson in 2021 when they route their way south via Gauting. Here we are having coffee at Lake Starnberg. We aren't doing group selfies yet and Janos is behind the camera.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonIt’s great to look back at our first meeting! I’m so happy for all the wonderful times we’ve had together. You feel like family!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
A shot including Janos - Here we are taking the Andersons on bumpy forest paths to show them the local sights of fame.
Heart 8 Comment 0
September 2021 - At the end of her tour Susan is flying home from Munich and we meet for the first time, for dinner in downtown Munich.
Heart 6 Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonTo Patrick O'HaraDid you notice, Susan has a halo!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo Suzanne GibsonBut of course she does!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
May 2022 the Andersons, Susan, Janos and I meet in Beaune for several days touring together in Burgundy before we all go our separate ways.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonAnother great trip together!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
May 2022 - In Beaune we meet CycleBlazer Keith Klein and his wife Susan for a great lunch in Les Caveaux des Arches.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraYour warmth and kindness make you both good at collecting people!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Patrick O'HaraThanks, CBers are nice to collect!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
May 2022 - On our first day out in Burgundy on our way to Dijon we enjoy the hospitality of Keith Klein and his wife Susan at their home in Chevrey-Chambertin. Now we are getting the knack for the group picture thing.
Heart 9 Comment 0
May 2022 - in Semur, the last day that all five of us ride together in Burgundy.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Summer 2022 Dodie and Steve Miller pass through Munich and we meet for coffee and cake at Cafe Münchner Freiheit. No group photo but our presence is evident by our pieces of cake.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Scott AndersonAnd such huge pieces they are!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
September 2022 Susan and I cycle together for six days in the Black Forest.
Heart 9 Comment 0
June 2023 - Susan, Janos and I cycle together in the Provence.
Heart 9 Comment 0
May 2023 - While we are in Sault at the foot of Montventoux, Kirsten Kaarsoo and Lyle McLeod reroute their tour to meet us for dinner. They stay at the same hotel and we get together once more for breakfast.
Heart 10 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonHow great you could all be together!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
June 2023 - A highlight for me while we are together in the Provence, Susan and I clilmb Mont Ventoux. It is too early in the season and there is no official col sign to pose under.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonThe mighty conquerors!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kathleen JonesWhen I tell people about the friends I rode with in France, I explain who you are with the story of your ride up Ventoux. Chapeau!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
June 2023 - We meet Scott and Rachael in Trento and cycle together along the Brenta and on to Padua.
Heart 8 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonI want Togo back there! What a great time we had.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Patrick O'HaraGreat Bassano Del Grappa jersey.....I think Scott had the same one until he had to retire it.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Patrick O'HaraYup, I'm a copy cat. He even told me where the store was.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
October 2023 - Susan visits friends in Europe, stopping in Munich, or rather Gauting, before continuing on to Paris. We lend her my old e-bike and we take some autumnal rides in the surroundings.
Heart 10 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraAre these the local trails near Gauting that you were mentioning?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Patrick O'HaraYes, we have many forest trails.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
April 2024 - Janos and I meet Susan in Estremoz, Portugal and ride a lovely route to Trujillo, Spain.
Heart 9 Comment 0
April 2024 - While we are still in Spain we meet the Andersons on their way north to cycle a week together. Susan is headed in another direction but plans her itinerary so that our paths cross here in Mérida. No group picture with bikes because I come down with an infection. We are disappointed that we can't cycle the next leg together as planned. But at least we see each other a few days.
Heart 8 Comment 0
May 2024 - Finally meeting Kathleen Jones. We meet her and Susan in Metz, France and cycle a great week together in spite of the rain.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI’m so happy you got to meet Kathleen!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
August 2024 - We meet Patrick O'Hara and Susanna Mulligan as they wind up their tour in Munich for a fun beer garden picnic together.
Heart 10 Comment 0

That makes altogether 11 CycleBlazers we have had the pleasure to meet in person! The stories behind the pictures are in all of our journals. We have loved meeting up with fellow CycleBlazers. I hope there will be more to come. You know where to find us. 

The following picture has nothing to do with cycling and it doesn't even include a fellow CycleBlazer, but it is, in my opinion, of a blazing beauty (and I don't mean me). Meet my great granddaughter Lina! I just couldn't resist sneaking her in.

Can't call it baby "sitting". Lina likes sleeping on your tummy. She is six weeks old.
Heart 11 Comment 5
Rachael AndersonCongratulations! What a wonderful photo.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kathleen JonesWhat beauties!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jacquie GaudetWhat a cutie! My granddaughter was about that age when I learned about the Strider 2-in-1 Rocking Bike. I exercised some control and waited until her first birthday to get one for her. Start 'em young!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Jacquie GaudetThanks for the great idea!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesAbsolutely gorgeous. Enjoy all those baby snuggles.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rachael AndersonYou made my day!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Susan CarpenterWhat a wonderful collection of photos and memories. I'm delighted and lucky to have shared in so many of your Cycle Blaze adventures - and I'm very much looking forward to adding to the collection! Congrats on the new granddaughter - she's a cutie!!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Rachael AndersonThanks, Rachael! It made me happy, too, remembering all the good times.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Susan CarpenterRight, more for the collection!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Kathleen JonesWhat a fabulous rogues gallery. Proud to be a part of it.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesHappy to have you part of it!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago